What type of network hub for Printer/Internet?

Reaction score
I have a friend who has a Mac Mini and currently has two LAN cables she needs to use. One is for a Ethernet printer. The other is for a Internet connection (Comcast Cable Internet). For now she is constantly switching between the two and wants stop doing that.
I suggested a network hub or switch but I'm wondering if it's as simple as that. If she purchases a hub or a switch if she simply connects to two cables into that will everything work fine? Any suggestions of a good but reasonably priced switch/hub?
As well, will any changes need to be made on the computer itself or will this be automatic when both are connected?
One last question: I know for home use I have a actual router but I have a home network and share the internet connection which she won't be using so I assume that is a router isn't necessary. Am I correct?
Thanks in advance for any help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook Black 2GB iPod Nano & Black 80GB iPod Classic B&W G3 G4's - PowerMac & Cube
Yu're pretty much spot on with everything you said in your post. A hub or switch would be a really easy way to get everything taken care of without having to switch cables around all the time. I have one just for the same purposes that you posted above, and I have this one.

I don't know for sure if the connection will be automatic, but I think it will. It shouldn't be too much work to get it set up anyway.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.