• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

one post, most rep?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Silly question, but why was the last such thread deleted? I do remember it, and it was fun reading.

Reaction score
I think it was a system problem and some threads got deleted during some upgrading.

Anyway, I don't have problems getting multiple rep in a thread.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 15 inch 1.5 GHz, iMac
iNET messing with board code.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.0ghz coeduo 1GB RAM 80 GB HD SuperDrive
i dont have much rep at this point, but im working on it. *runs to beat D8 and MHC to helping people*

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D MacBook Pro
My rep tends to come in pairs. I have 4 threads with 2 reps each. Sooo...I really don't have any exceptional posts, I guess.

Oh...and you know what I think about thread Kodor...god, if I get started, I will end up with some bad reps myself :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Mine so far has been the USB-2 vs Firewire 400 thread. I think I got 8 positive reps in less than 1 day.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Mine so far has been the USB-2 vs Firewire 400 thread. I think I got 8 positive reps in less than 1 day.

Just curious? Did you get any Negative from that? I have ran into a few people here and there who are so anti FireWire for some reason, they totally disagree with us on the FW VS USB2.

Reaction score
Nobody is forced to read a post or thread, so what I don't get is how a negative concept (red pips) can be appropriate when someone doesn't agree with you passing on facts or comparing something against another thing.

Now if someone is abusive or deliberately misleading, being a smart*ss or even cruel ... then that's a good time for the handing out of smacks, IMHO.

OP
KoDorSean
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
so is anyone going to chime in here on their opinion as to why that post of mine upset so many people?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.93C2D 4GB
People just get a little over sensitive with stuff like that KoDorSean. I myself can't understand it - All you did was try to include everyone, of any or no particular religion.

Perhaps there are a few Fascists lurking about...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air | iPad | iPhone | iPod Classic | iPod Shuffle | no more money
This could be dodgy....

so is anyone going to chime in here on their opinion as to why that post of mine upset so many people?

I'll have a go... (Could be dodgy - best advice - stay away from anything to do with religion in a forum...)

EDIT <snip> </snip>

Why might you have got positive? Because you pointed out that not every one celebrates Christmas - very true.

Why negative? Because you took something away from another religion.

OP
KoDorSean
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
People just get a little over sensitive with stuff like that KoDorSean. I myself can't understand it - All you did was try to include everyone, of any or no particular religion.

Perhaps there are a few Fascists lurking about...

great post.. I agree...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4 OSX Tiger

To be honest, I don't know why you got negative rep on that one. I do however disagree with the post but not enough to leave negative rep. The original poster was wishing a Merry Christmas to everyone. If you do not celebrate Christmas, then the thread was not for you. I'm not try to exclude you but if someone starts a Happy Birthday KoDorSean thread, I don't think anyone would suggest changing the title to Happy June 6th Everyone.

Also, as I said in my post in that thread, just because there are other holidays around that time of year doesn't mean saying Merry Christmas is wrong. Long story short: Celebrate whatever you wish as long as you grant others the same privilege. Anyway, that's My opinion on the matter. And yes I did get negative rep on that post and will probably get some on this one but it will just motivate me to help others more so that I can get more positive rep to knock the red off the list.

OP
KoDorSean
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Why negative? Because you took something away from another religion.

Moss said it great.. I was trying to include everyone not take anything away from another religion.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
2 positive for me

i dont see why your post (previous) should get bad rep.

OP
KoDorSean
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
To be honest, I don't know why you got negative rep on that one. I do however disagree with the post but not enough to leave negative rep. The original poster was wishing a Merry Christmas to everyone. If you do not celebrate Christmas, then the thread was not for you. I'm not try to exclude you but if someone starts a Happy Birthday KoDorSean thread, I don't think anyone would suggest changing the title to Happy June 6th Everyone.

Also, as I said in my post in that thread, just because there are other holidays around that time of year doesn't mean saying Merry Christmas is wrong. Long story short: Celebrate whatever you wish as long as you grant others the same privilege. Anyway, that's My opinion on the matter. And yes I did get negative rep on that post and will probably get some on this one but it will just motivate me to help others more so that I can get more positive rep to knock the red off the list.

I never meant to suggest that saying Merry Christmas was wrong in any way. I celebrate Christmas for gosh sake why would I suggest such a thing? I just wanted to point out that not everyone celebrates Christmas and we need to include everyone.

Thank you for your post. It helped me understand why some might see it as "bad".

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air | iPad | iPhone | iPod Classic | iPod Shuffle | no more money
Moss said it great.. I was trying to include everyone not take anything away from another religion.

I don't think you were trying to take something away from someone - I think it was nice that you tried to include more people - I merely suggested a possible reason for your neg rep - you asked for reasons - I took a guess.

However I think michaelstumpf makes a good point.

If someone doesn't celebrate Christmas - the thread was not meant for them.

Nothing stops someone else from creating a second thread to wish people a happy holiday.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
It's interesting... IMO there is no need to try to include everyone. While I am not of the Jewish faith, I take no offense whatsoever when a Jewish friend wishes me Happy Hanukkah. Quite the opposite really, I am happy that they have wished me Happy Hanukkah, kind of gesture of friendship. MichaelStumpf had a great post. We all celebrate DIFFERENT things, and it's great to learn of other cultures/faiths celebration. I see no need to strip away the names of Cultural or faith-based holidays, and resort to lives of: "happy Feb. Bill" "Happy Cold-Weather Mike", "happy Spring-Time Beth". I'll wish you a Merry Chistmas, and maybe you'll wish me Happy Ramadan. It's all good.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
There was nothing wrong with your post. It was nice to acknowledge everyone. I remember at work everyone was all "Merry Christmas" and nobody seemed to acknowledge one employee who everyone knew was Jewish. I, of course, did, and he appreciated it. But he wasn't going to threaten to sue the place if nobody did like that guy and the airport.

It seems sometimes that people can't handle certain ideas or situations, so they try their best to ignore it. And when it is brought to light, they shun or attack it because it makes them uneasy. Sadly, this has been most apparent to me in people with religious issues, which is pretty much the opposite of the teachings of Jesus. I think this might be the issue that led to negs for your comment.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.