Installing 9.1 without 9.0 to get Classic working

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Blueberry iMac G3, 233MHz CPU, 256MB RAM, MacOS 10.3.9
Ok. The subject line of this message may be a bit weird, but I hope I get some help here. Also, I have searched on the forum as well as other websites (including Apple's) and haven't figured this out yet.

I apologize in advance for the length of this post. However, I've seen too many "my computer doesn't work, what do I do" posts to know that being verbose and specific is good.

Also, note that while I am tech savvy, almost all my knowledge is in the PC world...

That said, I have an iBook 600MHz. I found on the Apple site that this will run 9.1 or later. However, I have only ever seen 9.1 or later released as updates. Is this truth, and, if so, how can a machine that doesn't support 9.0 ever run anything higher since they are upgrades? I'm pretty sure I'm way off on this....

Anyway, now I come to my specific problem. I have acquired Myst for Mac. My iBook is running 10.3.9, no Classic installed (so I found out). I see that Classic needs 9.1 or later (preferably 9.2 from what I've read). I purchased my iBook from an old coworker of mine without software and bought 10.3 to install on it, which is what I'm running now (10.3.9 these days). I've read that 10.2 came with some version of 9 so that Classic would work but that 10.3 came with no such thing (just my luck).

So, and do not think bad of me, I downloaded via torrent MacOS 9.0 and the updates for 9.1, 9.2.1 and 9.2.2. Also, I was given a copy (and I mean copy in the most literal sense) of 9.2.2 upgrade on a bootable cd. Mind you, I have already priced versions of 9 so that when I find the one that works properly, I can purchase it and legally own it. I just don't want to purchase software that isn't going to work (especially since I've found the prices are around $150 for MacOS 9).

Now, first I tried copying the MacOS 9.0 System Folder to my HD. No luck running Classic since it needs 9.1 or later. I tried to update 9.0 to 9.1, however the update requires Classic, which at this point isn't working, or booting into 9.0, which also won't work since my Mac will only work with 9.1 or later. I looked through the files of the 9.1 and 9.2.1 and 9.2.2 updates, but none of them contain a System Folder for me to copy to my HD.

I then decided to try booting from the 9.2 (actually 9.2.1) disc and trying a full install or update (just for giggles). Of course, this failed as I don't have 9.1 or later installed (I'm seeing a pattern here...). However, I noticed that this disc DID have a System Folder (which is why I thought the full install might work). I booted back into 10.3.9, and tried copying the 9.2.1 System Folder onto my HD (after deleting to the 9.0 System Folder to prevent duplicates, especially since 9.0 does my mac no good). Classic found the folder, but was unable to use it. Either in 10.3.9 or when booted from the 9.2.1 cd, I got a message that basically said you can't use this folder when its just copied off the cd (I assume this means you have to install it using the install script).

Anyway, this further proved to me that you have to have 9.1 to do anything which means you have to have 9.0 to upgrade to 9.1. If my mac doesn't handle 9.0, I'm not sure how this is acheivable.

One last possibility I've thought about (and this is probably my problem) is that the iBook probably came with a special specific full install version of 9.1 that is the only way to get 9.1 or Classic working on this iBook. If that is the case I'm pretty much SOL and will have to go buy an old mac with the software just to run Myst. I'm beginning to wonder if this one game is worth the trouble...

If I've left out any details or if anything is unclear, reply and I will try to clarify myself. Thanks in advance to any and all help and advice that comes my way!

OP
E
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've tried everything on that site except for restoring. I don't have restore cds. I have the retail 10.3 cds which I purchased from CompUSA. The 9.0 disc I have is either 1.) not bootable (most likely) or 2.) won't run on my mac because its 9.0 (or maybe both 1 and 2).

Thanks for the quick reply, and I will scour that link more thoroughly for anything I might have missed.

Anyone else got some help? Anything is appreciated. ^_^

Reaction score
Your running 10.3 right,Ok its Unix,OS 9+ is not,classic is the interface between them. There has to be a space on the hard drive for OS9+ to reside,
most of the time you start with 9.2 then install 10.The system folder is placed into the 10 folder as classic 9. Copying the OS9 folder will not work as an installer has to install it. Your taking totally starting over.

OP
E
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Your running 10.3 right,Ok its Unix,OS 9+ is not,classic is the interface between them.

I understand this and always have. I decided to try out Mac when I found out it was based on BSD now.

There has to be a space on the hard drive for OS9+ to reside, most of the time you start with 9.2 then install 10.The system folder is placed into the 10 folder as classic 9.

I also understand that some people do things this way. However, some people also do a full clean install of 10. This is how I did things, now I want to add Classic support, but I haven't been able to install mac os 9, as stated in my original post.

Your taking totally starting over.

What does this mean? I don't understand this sentence at all.

Again, thanks for the response! I appreciate any help, but I haven't found out anything new or particularly relevant to my situation. Not yet at least. I still have high hopes! ^_^

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
A thought just occurred to me. I don't remember if you need this to run the classic OS 9 environment or just to boot up. Did you install the classic drivers when you did your install of OS X?

I maybe going up the wrong tree here. I just remembered doing that when I set up my Ti PowerBook.

OP
E
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Now that I don't know. Is there somewhere I can go to check it? If it just installs folders on the root of the harddrive, them probably not becuase all my root folders seem OS X standard. But if there is some other way I can check, then I will.

Reaction score
I would just find another Mac and put OS 9 or 9.2 on it to run your Game! I see Powermacs and G3 at the thrift store for $10.00

OP
E
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Do you ever see them with their software discs? I think part of my problem is that I haven't got the proper install disc(s) for 9.

Reaction score
Most of the Machines I see and have bought from time to time ,if they have a hard drive, has a system on them,sometimes 8 or 9, A friend of mine got a G3 tower last week with 10.2 on it. Somewhere over there in Texas ,may be in Dallas, is a huge Goodwill store that sales only computers.

OP
E
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hm. Texas is a big state. Dallas is about four hours away. Don't think I'll be going just go get an old mac. ^_^

Anyway, I ordered a full install of 9.2.2 from fastmac.com yesterday, and the order is processing today. I should have it sometime next week, so I will try booting from and installing it.

Do I need classic drivers to install from a booted cd? I wouldn't think so, since the cd should give you a chance to format if you want to.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook C2D 2.2Ghz and 2 G4 550Mhz Pismos
There are still a few websites that sell pre-X versions of mac OS. And you CAN find 9.1 or .2 discs that are not upgrade discs, but full installs.

I'm not sure if I can post website names here, but you can find several sites that sell parts and software for older mac models. The availability of just about anything you need may surprise you. I assume they're authorized resellers, but don't know that for a fact. They are authentic discs, however. I've bought some myself and have been quite satisfied.

And regarding the install both OS 9.x and OS X can be installed on the same drive. 9 can be booted to run in the classic environment simultaneously with OS X or booted separately. After installing OS 9, hold the option key at startup and you can select which OS to boot. Like a previous poster said, though, make sure the OS 9 drivers were installed when you installed OS 10.x.

That said, I personally have had better results when installing OS 9 on a separate partition. You can still run it in classic mode after doing this if you wish.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.