• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

IBook should be this cheap?!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G3 iMac 400Mhz, 512Mb RAM,10GB HDD
I'm looking at an IBook for now, at 30 bucks! The guy can't spell, and the ad's really hard to read, so that might be why it's so cheap... Still though, it has one day left... Do you think it would jump really high or could I get it for under 100 bucks? I'd show you the AD but im nervous others might catch on! It's a G3 800Mhz, 640MB RAM, 40GB HDD, and comes with OS X and MS Office. The guy has excellent feedback too! Am I crazy, or will I be getting a cool IBook for cheap?!:blind:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple Black MacBook 2 GB RAM, 2.0 GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo Proecessor, 120 GB HD. 30 GB Black iPod Video
It sounds like a scam to me. Remember: if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

OP
IceCreamMan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It sounds like a scam to me. Remember: if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

What if it's simply because his ad looks like trash? I'm willing to take at least an $80 risk as I just sold free software for 80 bucks! :p The picture for it looks fine though, plus the guy has good feedback! Any other ideas from the rest of the members? I haven't been this excited to get a computer since my 486.:D

Picture of actual lappy:
ca35_3.JPG

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
can we see the add? Is it ebay? URL? I have an ibook and don't need one. PM me the url if you don't want to post it here. I am good with ebay and figuring out scams and bad users.

OP
IceCreamMan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, I would kind of like to keep the ad secrect at least till it's finished. What do you mean, you have an ibook and don't need one? Would you be willing to sell it to me for cheap? I'm on a tight budget, and need a little something to make my day better. :p

can we see the add? Is it ebay? URL? I have an ibook and don't need one. PM me the url if you don't want to post it here. I am good with ebay and figuring out scams and bad users.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
No, just trying to help you not get ripped off. My iBook is not for sale. I love it and use it daily. I want nothing else.

OP
IceCreamMan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oops! I read your post wrong! You seem like a cool guy, so I'll PM you the link. :p

No, just trying to help you not get ripped off. My iBook is not for sale. I love it and use it daily. I want nothing else.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple Black MacBook 2 GB RAM, 2.0 GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo Proecessor, 120 GB HD. 30 GB Black iPod Video
What if it's simply because his ad looks like trash? I'm willing to take at least an $80 risk as I just sold free software for 80 bucks! :p The picture for it looks fine though, plus the guy has good feedback! Any other ideas from the rest of the members? I haven't been this excited to get a computer since my 486.:D

I have 100% feedback on my ebay name, however, somebody was able to use my name to sell stereo systems about 2 years ago. They didn't get away with it since I caught them before their auctions ended, but it is possible that it's a scammer using somebody else's name. Another possibility for it being so cheap (and I'm only speculating) is that the seller is from overseas, and nobody wants to pay the overseas charges to bring it here. If it is for real though I'd say go for it, it's an incredible deal. I've just had first hand experience with ebay scammers and something smells fishy about it is all I'm saying.

M

MacHeadCase

Another possibility is that it is stolen gear, in which case you wouldn't be able to take it to repair shops, it would be on a hot list...

OP
IceCreamMan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You guys are really helpful! Thanks so much! dtravis7 checked the ad out, he said it looked to be legit... I'm afraid it's going to jump up to $450 like the last one at the last second... Never hurts to try though! If all else fails, I'm making a Mac Stash so I can get a nice one!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.0ghz coeduo 1GB RAM 80 GB HD SuperDrive
let us know how how it ends!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
You guys are really helpful! Thanks so much! dtravis7 checked the ad out, he said it looked to be legit... I'm afraid it's going to jump up to $450 like the last one at the last second...
That is simply how eBay works. Just because it is only around $30 now, doesn't mean that it won't go higher... especially since it still has a day or so to go yet. People can proxy bid and beat you out anyway.

Here is one that is only $30, but still has a day to go:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Apple-Ibook-G3-...70QQihZ014QQcategoryZ4601QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Here is another:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ibook-g3-800mhz...1QQihZ007QQcategoryZ80050QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

...and another:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Apple-iBook-G3-...2QQihZ008QQcategoryZ80050QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

...another:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Apple-iBook-G3-...4QQihZ010QQcategoryZ80050QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Here is one someone colored black:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ibook-custom-bl...86QQihZ009QQcategoryZ4601QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Point is, there are several iBook G3's on eBay. They almost all start out with low prices. Yes, they will go higher in price as the end of the auction approaches. Most auctions don't see the majority of their bidding action in the last two minutes, anyway. Looking at the going price a day or more before the end of the auction is not a reliable way to gauge the end price of the item.

Alos, not posting your link won't help anyone alay your worries of it being a scam or not. There are plenty of people who don't even read this forum that will be able to bid on the same item you are looking at. The couple of people here that see it aren't likely to offer any more of a "threat" to your being able to win the auction or not. And as I have shown, there are plenty of other iBook G3's for auction on eBay... the supply is almost never ending.

:black:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.