• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Setting up a Server

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.5ghz Powerbook G4 17" 2gb RAM
Alright so this is going to a long winded post and I dont know if it will ake sense when all said and done, but here it goes. I need help from someone whole could provide me with a guide or step by step (AIM, etc) instructions on how to set up my Windows XP box to be a server for my home network. What I want to accomplish is being able to drag and drop folders, files, anything from the PC computer to my Powerbook, wirelessly, through an Aiport Express. Probably wondering why, is because all my music and ~40 DVD rips are located on my harddrive(s) on the Wintel box so I can stream through itunes to my powerbook, which I in turn stream wirelessly back through the airport speakers. This used to not be a problem because all the music and movies fit on the powerbook, but now im up to about 110gigs so I am doing it this way. Does anyone know if its posssible to set up. Turn the windows box into some type of server for the network so, for example, if i wanted to make a new mp3 ringtone for the phone I could just drag a song from itunes let it transferr to the powerbook where I can edit it down and everything. Alright, anyway, If someone could help that would be great and you will get a few reputation points out of it. :D Thanks, Mike

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.