Newly "switched".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
The home of the free and the land that did for Bra
Your Mac's Specs
24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs
Well "switched" is a relative term when you have 7 computers of which only one is a Mac. ;)

But at least the others haven't had a look in since I bought this beast last week.

I already introduced myself on the iMac hardware forum, basically because it was a 1Ghz 17inch flat panel that I purchased and I had some questions to ask (not the last I'm sure) but I saw this forum and thought I'd do it again (just in case there is any snobbery between PowerMac and iMac users that would preclude the former from reading that forum ;)).

So Hi all.

btw is everyone on these forums a moderator except me? :) (hint: get advertising guys'n'gals, are there any links to here from the Apple site?)

Amen-Moses

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Welcome Amen-Moses...
I'm a switcher from February and just like you I still have my PC but I haven't used it since then haha.

And no, not everyone is a moderator on these boards. There are 8 moderators which you can see my clicking the "Moderating Team" link at the bottom of the board who they all are. And we have 87 members, so no, you're not alone haha. We are definitely glad to have you here!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" iMac G4 800MHz 1GB RAM
Welcome aboard!

I too gave 7 machine of which one is an iMac. The iMac is great. I have been using it ( although not exclusively ) since like October or so. Nice machine, nice interface. I just wish they would catch up with the Mhz so that it would run a little faster. And from what I read, this will probably be coming! :)

I will have to look at the Apple site and see where we can add a link. Didn't know that we could.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Originally posted by Emrys@Apr 27 2003, 08:35 AM
Welcome aboard!

I too gave 7 machine of which one is an iMac. The iMac is great. I have been using it ( although not exclusively ) since like October or so. Nice machine, nice interface. I just wish they would catch up with the Mhz so that it would run a little faster. And from what I read, this will probably be coming! :)

I will have to look at the Apple site and see where we can add a link. Didn't know that we could.
The 1Ghz G4 seems plenty fast enough, I think the architecture makes it much faster than an equivelent PC.

Heres hoping for the 2Ghz G5 in the next batch. ;)

I'm not sure if you can link from the Apple site but it is worth enquiring.

Amen-Moses

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unfortunetly I bought ( my ex-company bought :) ) the 800 Mhz version. So you are 1/5 faster than me.

It's not that it is slow in operation. Most things load up quick, and I can have a million things open, and it does alright ( I've got 768 MB RAM at this point, got the extra memory, just need to install it to bring it up to a GB ). It's just that when it does some number intensive stuff, like video conversion, it seems very lacking. I find that my 2 Ghz P4 with 512MB does the job MUCH faster. It doesn't do it with the same Style :) but it does it faster. That is one of the reasons i am waiting for the CPU speed increase.

Also, because Intel based x86 chips are already at over 3Ghz, and will be jumping to 64-bit soon. Apple should've been the first to do this :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Pwnt
We could submit the site for an online-only MUG (macintosh user group). However there may be a minimum number of users we have to meet. I dunno.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
hmmm I used to goto another board once and I know they did the MUG route but I don't remember the details. I'm sure we'd have enough members though. Let me check it out and let you guys know.

N

naughtybutnice

:ph34r: im a newbie to mac too... ive been using pc`s for about 10 years as an engineer... my new line of work is signwriting and graphic design so i was told to switch!
just for the time being i am using an old mac which was given to me which i am using to learn the basics before i commit fully.
ive only had it one day so far and im already in love! (and its only a performa 630!)
i think im gonna convert completely....

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK I've had this thing about two weeks and I'm filling the hard drive at an alarming rate (iTunes just makes it too **** easy, I have over 14 hours of music on it already!), I have a DV camcorder on order and I've already upgraded the Ram so the next logical purchase would be a nice big firewire HD.

I have only powered up one of my PC's once in this period and that was to play IL 2 Sturmovik (I wonder if this would play on the Mac under emulation?). I now do all my emailing and net browsing on the Mac and will be doing all my business related stuff on it too (I'm converting to AppleWorks gradually).

I still have problems with unix stuff (XDarwin orX11? a real quandry that one at the moment) and have got a few things working but mostly I'm just wasting disk space with source trees for stuff that doesn't quite want to work (been there, done that and got the Linux T-shirt ;)).

btw can we turn off that **** flashing tree next to the MAC-FORUMS.COM link in this window? ;)

I am also still having problems learning all the ins and outs of iDVD and QuickTime-Pro, so far I've managed to create a few DVDs but they all have slight problems (including the first one I burnt in the NTSC instead of PAL - Doh!), for example the last one I did I converted several QT movies into DV and managed to create high quality DVD projects with them but for some reason I lost the sound track somewhere along the way and ended up with another expensive coaster. Oh well I'm getting there, I'll just have to see what new problems come with the camera, a JVC GRDV-3000, I hope it is fully compatible with iMovie!

Next purchase software wise will be Final Cut Express probably anyone got this?

Amen-Moses (still a happy switcher)

H

hokiethang

I just got a new powerbook, so im also newly switched. Im still figuring out the darwin kernel as thats a majority of my work. Im a systems administrator for a unix network and instead of getting a PC and fighting to get linux to run on it, i went the mac route. I only got mine a couple of weeks ago, but i have maybe used the PC on my desk here at work once or twice since then.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Gotta love the "I only use my PC about an hour a week now." posts...

Maybe Microsoft should be taking notes :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.