converting m4a

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" c2d mbp 2gb ram 120gb hdd
hey all, i was wondering if there was a free simple program that i can download for either mac or pc (id prefer pc) to convert m4a files to mp3,wma, and other formats. id really like a software for the my pc because i just goof around on the mac then put it on my pc to store and convert etc..and i dont want alot of apps on the mac...thank you

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4 OSX Tiger
You can do it in iTunes. All you need to do is change the import format to mp3, then right-click on the song in the library and select "Convert Selection to MP3".

Oh and Bonus, its available for pc AND mac.

OP
I
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You can do it in iTunes. All you need to do is change the import format to mp3, then right-click on the song in the library and select "Convert Selection to MP3".

Oh and Bonus, its available for pc AND mac.

ok once its converted to mp3 format, where is it on my computer?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4 OSX Tiger
If you have it set up to organize your music folder, it should be in your iTunes folder. With the mac version you can right click on the new one and select Show in Finder. I think there might be a similar option in the windows version that probably reads something along the lines of Show in Windows Explorer but I can't remember.

You can set the location it saves to by changing the iTunes folder in the preferences.

OP
I
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thanks michaelstumpf, very helpful but it sounds like an awful lot of work..i just downloaded a free converter

thanks again thou.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4 OSX Tiger
i just downloaded a free converter
That works too. I just didn't know of any converters off hand. Incase someone else comes along with the same question, what converter did you download?

Reaction score
is this a windows app? did you find anything similar for Mac. i would like this too simply for making mp3 cd's for the car. Can anyone suggest a mac version?

I know the itunes solution works but it duplicates the songs in itunes library and i just dont want the hassle of managing that every time i want to make an MP3 cd.

Also, when making Mp3 cd in itunes, all songs go to "root" like one big playlist. If you make a data disc you can put albums in folders and select them individually.

OP
I
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
is this a windows app? did you find anything similar for Mac. i would like this too simply for making mp3 cd's for the car. Can anyone suggest a mac version?

I know the itunes solution works but it duplicates the songs in itunes library and i just dont want the hassle of managing that every time i want to make an MP3 cd.

Also, when making Mp3 cd in itunes, all songs go to "root" like one big playlist. If you make a data disc you can put albums in folders and select them individually.

do what i did, just type what your looking for in google. ill try to help you out

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.