x11 installation trouble

J

jp_tix

hi,

i'm trying to install the apple x11 from the file X11UserForMacOSX.mpkg.

i can run the installer, but when i try to choose the target disk i can't choose any!

i probably would want to install it on the Macintosh HD disk, but when i
click it it says something like "you can not install on this volume. could not find chosen message for index 17" (freely translated from norwegian version of panther).

???

***edit***

i have used X11 on the machine before, but uninstalled it by removing the application itself (in the Applications folder) and removing the
/usr/x11R6 and /etc/X11 folders. perhaps that's why i'm having problems now...

***edit***

best,

jp

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Did you download it to the desktop? It maybe that in another directory you cant see the hard drive from what I see here (dead link removed). By the way, if you like I may be able to read the Norwegian ;)

OP
J

jp_tix

witeshark said:
Did you download it to the desktop? It maybe that in another directory you cant see the hard drive from what I see here (dead link removed). By the way, if you like I may be able to read the Norwegian ;)

yeah, it's on the desktop.

the norwegian message is :

Du kan ikke installere denne programvaren på dette volumet.
Fant ikke angitt melding for 17-indeksen.

btw,

if i choose any other volumes (ipod, external fw disk) it says the
same thing except "index 16" instead of 17.

thanks,

jp

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
jp_tix said:
hi,
i have used X11 on the machine before, but uninstalled it by removing the application itself (in the Applications folder) and removing the
/usr/x11R6 and /etc/X11 folders. perhaps that's why i'm having problems now...
best,jp
Yup, I think that is it right there. To do a complete uninstall and install from scratch maybe?

OP
J

jp_tix

witeshark said:
Yup, I think that is it right there. To do a complete uninstall and install from scratch maybe?

complete uninstall of what? os x? hope not...got to be an easier way.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Oh no! not the whole OS just the app!

OP
J

jp_tix

witeshark said:
Oh no! not the whole OS just the app!

well, that's exactly what i did some time ago. removed the X11.app and the two folders i mentioned. it is now when i try to re-install it i get trouble - perhaps because of some files still there...not sure though..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Well if you can isolate the file names that you need to delete I bet you can do it from the terminal. type grep >filemane< and when you see ones you want gone rm >filemane< maybe that will clear things up

OP
J

jp_tix

witeshark said:
Well if you can isolate the file names that you need to delete I bet you can do it from the terminal. type grep >filemane< and when you see ones you want gone rm >filemane< maybe that will clear things up

i downloaded the X11 package from apple again and it suddenly worked. oh well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Glad it worked, that first reinstall post -that is what I was trying to suggest. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.