PDA

View Full Version : x11 installation trouble

jp_tix
03-21-2004, 08:17 PM
hi,

i'm trying to install the apple x11 from the file X11UserForMacOSX.mpkg.

i can run the installer, but when i try to choose the target disk i can't choose any!

i probably would want to install it on the Macintosh HD disk, but when i
click it it says something like "you can not install on this volume. could not find chosen message for index 17" (freely translated from norwegian version of panther).

???

***edit***

i have used X11 on the machine before, but uninstalled it by removing the application itself (in the Applications folder) and removing the
/usr/x11R6 and /etc/X11 folders. perhaps that's why i'm having problems now...

***edit***

best,

jp

witeshark
03-21-2004, 08:59 PM
Did you download it to the desktop? It maybe that in another directory you cant see the hard drive from what I see here (http://info.chmcc.org/install/xwindows/mac/osx/#run) By the way, if you like I may be able to read the Norwegian ;)

jp_tix
03-21-2004, 09:12 PM
Did you download it to the desktop? It maybe that in another directory you cant see the hard drive from what I see here (http://info.chmcc.org/install/xwindows/mac/osx/#run) By the way, if you like I may be able to read the Norwegian ;)

yeah, it's on the desktop.

the norwegian message is :

Du kan ikke installere denne programvaren på dette volumet.
Fant ikke angitt melding for 17-indeksen.

btw,

if i choose any other volumes (ipod, external fw disk) it says the
same thing except "index 16" instead of 17.

thanks,

jp

witeshark
03-21-2004, 09:22 PM
hi,
i have used X11 on the machine before, but uninstalled it by removing the application itself (in the Applications folder) and removing the
/usr/x11R6 and /etc/X11 folders. perhaps that's why i'm having problems now...
best,jp Yup, I think that is it right there. To do a complete uninstall and install from scratch maybe?

jp_tix
03-21-2004, 09:27 PM
Yup, I think that is it right there. To do a complete uninstall and install from scratch maybe?

complete uninstall of what? os x? hope not...got to be an easier way.

witeshark
03-21-2004, 09:28 PM
Oh no! not the whole OS just the app!

jp_tix
03-21-2004, 09:31 PM
Oh no! not the whole OS just the app!

well, that's exactly what i did some time ago. removed the X11.app and the two folders i mentioned. it is now when i try to re-install it i get trouble - perhaps because of some files still there...not sure though..

witeshark
03-21-2004, 09:34 PM
Well if you can isolate the file names that you need to delete I bet you can do it from the terminal. type grep >filemane< and when you see ones you want gone rm >filemane< maybe that will clear things up

jp_tix
03-21-2004, 10:07 PM
Well if you can isolate the file names that you need to delete I bet you can do it from the terminal. type grep >filemane< and when you see ones you want gone rm >filemane< maybe that will clear things up

i downloaded the X11 package from apple again and it suddenly worked. oh well.

witeshark
03-21-2004, 11:01 PM
Glad it worked, that first reinstall post -that is what I was trying to suggest. :)