Harddrive HELP

Reaction score
Hi ALL.
I have two 600 gig external drives. One for use. One for backup. Periodically I wipe the backup and redrag the files from drive A to drive B.

First off. I am sure I am doing this the long way. Is there a better way than to open Disk Utility and wipe drive B prior to drag & drop?

Also I frequently get the message "contains one or more busy items that cannot be changed" at which point my file transfer comes to a complete hault.

Ideas?

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Hi mactonight. First of all, welcome to Mac Forums!

To your questions:

1/ Is there a better way than wiping the disk? Probably not. The only other alternate would be to simply delete the current contents (and then empty the trash - that last step is critical!). That might be faster than the wipe if you don't have much datea, but if you have any serious volume of data it won't be.

2/ The busy files message is an alert that some process on your machine is still using one or more files. I have seen more than one software bug in my life that causes this to happen erroneously. You may be experiencing such a thing. If you are sure that you have stopped all such applications, and have no unexpected Finder windows or other things open on it (use Expose to be sure - F9 - shows all currently open windows) then I would recommend rebooting before you do the wipe and copy routine. That should resolve things.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.