iMac G3 ejects disk

Reaction score
I burned a dvd on my iMac of all of my customer files. When I put it back in the iMac it ejects. I have tried other dvd's and the same thing happens. I put the same dvd in my mac book pro and it's fine. Can anyone direct me on a fix for this? Thanks

Mistake It's G4 Running on OSX 10.3.9

M

MacHeadCase

Welcome to Mac-Forums, anne.

Do you mean that other DVDs do not play anymore on your iMac? Which iMac G3 is this? What version of the OS? Have you tried CDs too?

OP
A
Reaction score
Machine Model:iMac
CPU Type:powerPC G4 (3.3)
Number Of CPUs: 1
CPU Speed:1 GHz
L2 Cache (per CPU):256 KB
Memory:768 MB
Bus Speed:133 MHz
Boot ROM Version: 4.5.8f1
Mac OSX 10.3.9

I very seldom use a dvd. Never watched movies, etc. I just needed to back up these files. So basically, it will recognize and burn, but just pushes it out after burning. I tried 3 dvd's and it did the same to all. All of these are recognized be the mac book pro. Below are the specs for the drive. I'm thinking a drive application is missing? Does that make any sense?

PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-105:
Manufacturer: PIONEER
Model:pIONEER DVD-RW DVR-105
Revision:A506
Serial Number:CADL035313WL
Drive Type:CD-RW/DVD-RW
Disc Burning: Apple Supported/Shipped
Removable Media:Yes
Detachable Drive:No
Protocol:ATAPI
Unit Number:0
Socket Type:Internal

M

MacHeadCase

Could it be the laser reader is dirty? Maybe use an air canister if you have one to dislodge any dirt that could be clogging up the mechanism?

How about CDs? Have you popped one in to see if they are read ok?

It could be the brand of DVD that was used is unstable. I know there are different types of DVDs and that some of them are not compatible but it seems to me that if this was the case, the iMac couldn't burn to them in the first place.

From the Apple iMac G4/1.0 17-Inch (Flat Panel) Specs:

Apple reports that the tray-loading DVD-R/CD-RW SuperDrive "writes DVD-R discs at 4x speed, reads DVDs at 8x speed, writes CD-R discs at 16x speed, writes CD-RW discs at 8x speed, [and] reads CDs at 32x speed."

Sorry, someone with more knowledge in hardware should jump in now and take a look at this thread. This is about all I can post in here with what I know.

OP
A
Reaction score
Just tried blowing it out with no luck. CD's are fine. I just checked a few. One DVD-RW is Maxwell the another is Office Depot and a third is Memorex. All work in the mac book pro. Thanks for your attempt.

M

MacHeadCase

Memorex is one of the, if not THE worst brand you can ever buy. The failure rates of burns is astronomical, I've read here and there. It's best you buy the more expensive brands as the burn failure rate drops down drastically. Maybe it is just a question of brands.

Why, might you ask, does your MBP read the same DVD that the iMac cannot read? Could be that either Tiger is more tolerant than Panther was or that the SuperDrive itself is more tolerant.

Maybe someone else knows all about this stuff better than I.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.