Airport Extreme wireless network: Will all this work?

Reaction score
Hi, I have an 24" iMac which connects straight upto my broadband through ethernet. I also have a wii and an xbox 360, my iMac is basically on all the time, downloading things and encoding/decoding music and movies so it stays connected to the internet when it can, but when I want to play on xbox live or on the wii I have to take out my ethernet cable out of my pc! If I was to buy an Airport Extreme would I be able to access the internet through my iMac (Wi-Fi) through my Xbox 360 (wireless adapter which I already have) and my wii (Wi-Fi again)?

I am just wondering whether I would have any problems with it connecting to all these different things rather than using it for a standard network. Has anyone else done anything like this and how are the Airport Extreme's for reliability and performance. I have a 10mb connection just incase anyone was worried about it being slow, should be fine with 10mb.

All help is appreciated, Adam

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Hi, I have an 24" iMac which connects straight upto my broadband through ethernet. I also have a wii and an xbox 360, my iMac is basically on all the time, downloading things and encoding/decoding music and movies so it stays connected to the internet when it can, but when I want to play on xbox live or on the wii I have to take out my ethernet cable out of my pc! If I was to buy an Airport Extreme would I be able to access the internet through my iMac (Wi-Fi) through my Xbox 360 (wireless adapter which I already have) and my wii (Wi-Fi again)?

I am just wondering whether I would have any problems with it connecting to all these different things rather than using it for a standard network. Has anyone else done anything like this and how are the Airport Extreme's for reliability and performance. I have a 10mb connection just incase anyone was worried about it being slow, should be fine with 10mb.

All help is appreciated, Adam

Although I don't have an XBOX360, I have been tasked with getting one working with a wireless router on occasion and I can tell you that Microsoft doesn't make it particularly easy. In one case, although I followed Microsoft's recommended settings for MTU, etc, I wasn't able to get a particular router working. In theory, just about any wireless router should work as long as it conforms to the 802.11 standards, but I would recommend that you take a look at the models that Microsoft specifically certifies for XBOX360:

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/support/connecttolive/xbox360/homenetworking/equipment.htm

Your Mac and Wii should be just fine with any 802.11 product, there's no reason to stick to Apple hardware. I have yet to see any in-depth reviews of the AirPort Extreme, but if past reviews are any indicator of how you might expect it to perform, it should be a pretty solid router.

OP
Billy-B0b
Reaction score
My Airport extreme came yesterday and I'm already getting frustrated. I have plugged my Base station upto my broadband and can now get broadband wirelessly on my iMac but when I come to using it on my xbox 360 and Nintendo Wii its a whole new mission! I keep getting errors with the wii and the xbox 360 can't find it at all! I have no idea what to do anymore been following instructions from forums and from the instruction manuals and I'm almost at the stage of just smashing it against a wall.

If anyone could help me with really clear instructions on how to get onto xbox live through my 360 and how to browse the wii online shops and internet I would GREATLY appreciate it.

Reaction score
Apple Extreme/USB Connectivity Issue

I ran into this article today regarding the AirPort Extreme and XBOX. Thought you might find this handy:

http://www.25experts.com/index.php?article_id=22

I have my printer connected to a USB Adapter with is connected to my Extreme Base Station. I also want to connect my Numark USB Turntable, JBL Soundsticks & iSub. Will I be able to get it all to work via my Powerbook?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.