• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Trading my PC for a Mac, need advice!

Reaction score
Hey all,

It's been years since I owned a Mac (1994-1996). But, I have found it's time to move on to the Mac world due to the effectiveness of the systems for Music and Video production. I have been looking to trade my PC system for a Mac, and have had a few offers but I'm having hard time doing an apples to apples comparison (pardon the pun).

Here are the specs on my current system:
AMD Athlon 64 3000+ 2 GHz
MSI K8T Neo Motherboard (MS-6702)
160GB ATA Hard Drive
120GB IDE Hard Drive
Lite-On DVD/RW Burner (SOHW-1633S)
Sony DVD-ROM
512MB DDR 266/333/ or 400 RAM (expandable to 2GB) This is dual channel RAM
Video: GeForce 4 MX 4000

I need a system that has PCI slots for some of the hardware I need to run, specifically a M-Audio Delta 1010. One of my offers is for a G4 with about a gig of RAM. Is a G4 comparable to my system? Should I try to get a G5? From what I have learned, it seems a G5 is a big step up and not an even trade but at the same time a G4 may not be as capable as what I have.

Any thoughts/suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Ryan

M

MacHeadCase

I don't know the answer to your question but just wanted to post a welcome to Mac-Forums to you, hihat.

For sure a PowerMac G5 is a much newer model than a PowerMac G4. It is a lot faster as well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
I believe that the baseline 2.0 GHz dual G5 would provide the same amount of CPU oomph that you had before, plus it is dual core, so you should be able to get a lot more out of it (Mac OS X recognizes and is able to use multi cores effectively).

I would definitely recommend a G5; you should be able to get a good deal on them these days, since they have been replaced by the Mac Pros.

In particular of course, you will want the PowerMac G5, not an iMac G5, so that you can have the slots your are looking for. Good luck!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Your probably better off going with a base model MacPro with a C2D vice the G5.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
If finances are not a driving concern, baggss has the best answer so far. A low end MacPro is still a really beefy machine and will do a great job for you for a long time. If money is tight however, an older used machine may be a better option. In that case, a G5 PowerMac would be a good choice.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.