• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Gotta love kids...

T

todd51

All I have to say is, thank goodness for rubbing alcohol...

..and I'm never having kids! (j/k ;))

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook Intel C2D 2.2GHz, 2G, 250G, SD, Leopard.
There's a YouTube video with that too. :eek:

I had a bunch of reactions to that, but mostly my kid probably wouldn't have done that. Sure, we babyproofed the really dangerous things, but for everything else we either put things away or used a most important word: NO.

I'll give the family credit though. They maintained composure in a trying situation. They won't forget that one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook C2D 2.4 2GB
That is why i hate kids...

T

todd51

Yea I checked out the YouTube video too. I laughed when he said, "Conner..what are you doing to daddy's Powerbook?"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13 Inch, 2 Mac Mini's 1.66 & 1.83, 2- iMac Intel i3 iPhone 4 & iPad 2 32 gig.
What's the big deal if Steve Job's signed it you would be showng it off to everyone, someday that kid could be the next Jobs. Oh yeah, if my kid would have done that I would have killed him, Just kidding!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4, 1.5GB RAM, 1.42Ghz, 14"
I would have completely lost it on that little brat.......

M

MacHeadCase

Holy moly! Are you telling me the guy filmed this while the kid was going psycho with a felt pen and didn't take the pen away? Ack! :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
I'm kinda guessing its happened before, otherwise I think he woulda pulled the sharpie out of the kid's hands pretty quick.

M

MacHeadCase

True that, Stretch. And he wouldn't know about rubbing alcohol working on those stains either.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Intel Core 2 Duo Processor 2GHz, 667 MHz FSB, 4 MB Cache, 1 GB RAM, 120 GB Hard Drive, SuperDrive
:eek:

I hide my macbook when my 9 year old nephew comes round out of fear that he might want to touch it with his sticky fingers!

Let alone a bloody sharpie!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I wouldn't hide things, it's called respect and discipline.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
my kid is learning respect for other peoples things for the most part. mainly because we use discipline (time outs and the occasional stern voice).

i also know my kid is worth a whole heck of a lot more than a computer. of course i would be shocked, but the extent of punishment/reaction shouldn't be worse depending on the price of the thing (nor should it be less if it's a cheap thing that's not his).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It is the principle of the thing. I would be less mad if he drew on a 74 Chevette than a brand new PowerBook, but he did wrong either way and should be punished accordingly. However, since the age of the child is rather young, I don't know how much of what you do would register with him.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
since my kid has been about 9 mo or so old, and definitely since he's been starting to be able to understand words and respond, he's known when he's been ding something wrong. even now at 2.5 years, if i'm on my macbook, and i want to show him something he is very delicate and doesn't touch the screen - because i taught him not to. even if he gets a little too excited, calm words like "Leo, easy." will sort him out.

i don't think most people give their kids the credit, respect and attention they deserve - thus, so many nanny 911 kids.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think you hit the nail on the head. Start out at the youngest possible age to for them to comprehend what you're saying, and keep building on it and you'll have great kids!!! Or you already HAVE them. :)

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
icon14.gif

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Intel Core 2 Duo Processor 2GHz, 667 MHz FSB, 4 MB Cache, 1 GB RAM, 120 GB Hard Drive, SuperDrive
I wouldn't hide things, it's called respect and discipline.

My kids'll have respect and be brought up properly, but my neph is the most destructive child this world has ever seen! He has broken every games console he's ever had, and couldn't believe that my bro and I have a still working 16 year old console (a snes) in our possession! (My dad taught us to respect our stuff!)

He then broke it when I let him try it out. :(

Hence, no macbook for him.

My flatmates are just as bad - all four of them have laptops which have suffered cracks and damage through misuse!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.