MacPro and Novell SLES 10

Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience getting a MacPro up and running with Novell's SLES 10 distro? I've gotten it to install just fine but when the system reboots it hangs at the 'Grub loading.....' line. I've tried it with the following boot options: acpi=off pnpbios=off noapic noapm

However, Grub still hangs....

Any ideas?

--Paul

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)
How did you install it?

Bootcamp? Parallels? Do you have access to /boot/grub/menu.lst?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook Intel C2D 2.2GHz, 2G, 250G, SD, Leopard.
Never tried it, though I've been running SuSE for years on Intel boxen. Here are a few thoughts based on what I might do were it me.

1. Google it.

sles macpro

will get you some hits. That should get you started.

2. Boot the machine from the installation CD/DVD to make sure your installed system will even work. Use whatever option looks something like 'boot installed system'.

3. If you can't get grub to work, try lilo. I've used both. I prefer lilo, though grub has given me good luck when a partition scheme is a bit off.

I hope you can get it up and running. I'd be real curious as to your experience with it. At work we're running lots of small multi-cpu compute servers with Red Hat Enterprise 4. They're very fast, but they're not enough. The other day the IT folks were talking about the possibility of getting more. It would be very cool to have Apple as a viable option.

OP
T
Reaction score
How did you install it?

Bootcamp? Parallels? Do you have access to /boot/grub/menu.lst?

Actually, I just tossed in the SLES 10 install CD, the MacPro booted to it, I configured the install, it went through like it would on any Intel based box...but when it finished and rebooted to come up on the HDD kernel....it hangs at "Grub loading...."

I've tried passing some kernel parameters to Grub at boot:

acpi=off pnpbios=off noapic noapm

I can come up in a Rescue mode and likely get access to the /boot/grub/menu.lst if I need to. What are you thinking?

--Paul

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.