• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

make no sense to buy a macbook pro...

Reaction score
I dont understand why a macbook pro 15" 2.1g can cost so much, $2100!!

I can get an Area-51® m5790 alienware laptop C2D 2.3G (faster chip) ,17" ( bigger screen with higher resolution) and most importantly I get a ATI X1800 (much faster then the ATI x1600 126mb from the MBP) = all these for only $1700.

so this is where things get a bit confusing, why on earth can a macbook pro can cost more then then the area-51 when it obvisouly beats the mbp on all aspects.

when did we start to pay more for a slower computer and a smaller LCD??

please help me out guys

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3
I dont understand why a macbook pro 15" 2.1g can cost so much, $2100!!

I can get an Area-51® m5790 alienware laptop C2D 2.3G (faster chip) ,17" ( bigger screen with higher resolution) and most importantly I get a ATI X1800 (much faster then the ATI x1600 126mb from the MBP) = all these for only $1700.

so this is where things get a bit confusing, why on earth can a macbook pro can cost more then then the area-51 when it obvisouly beats the mbp on all aspects.

when did we start to pay more for a slower computer and a smaller LCD??

please help me out guys

watch this

ghz myth

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3WnXaWjQYE

keep in mind you get what you pay for. second just because it has a bigger "faster chip" means nothing.. Mac's run totally different than a PC.

in most cases a chip of half the size/speed on a mac will run the same speed or faster.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
that's a very simplistic comparison, edwardo; what about other hardware and software?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
That's funny. I went and configured that same Alienware to match the specs as closely to a 15" MBP as possible, and came up with some very different results:

Alienware = $2,784.00
[1] Area-51® m5790

Processor: Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor T7600 2.33GHz 4MB Cache 667MHz FSB
Operating System (Office software not included): Genuine Windows® Vista Ultimate - With USB Mini Media Center Remote Control
Display: 17" WideXGA+ 1440 x 900 LCD - Saucer Silver
Memory: 2GB Dual Channel DDR2 SO-DIMM at 667MHz - 2 x 1024MB
System Drive: Single Drive Configuration - 160GB Serial ATA 1.5Gb/s 5,400 RPM w/ 8MB Cache
Primary CD ROM/DVD ROM: 8X Dual Layer DVD+/-RW / 24X CD-RW Combo w/ Software
Video/Graphics Card: 256MB ATI Mobility™ Radeon® X1800
Wireless Network Card: Internal Intel® PRO Wireless 3945 a/b/g Mini-Card
Bluetooth: Bluetooth™ USB Adapter

MacBook Pro = $2,499.00
MacBook Pro, 15-inch, 2.33GHz
Part Number: MA610LL/A

Processor: 2.33GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Operating System (Office software not included): Mac OS X Tiger 10.4.x, Front Row & Apple Remote
Display: MacBook Pro 15-inch Widescreen 1440 x 900 LCD Display
Memory: 2GB 667 DDR2 SDRAM - 2x1GB
System Drive: 120GB Serial ATA Drive @ 5400 rpm
Primary CD ROM/DVD ROM: SuperDrive 6x (DVD+R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
Video/Graphics Card: ATI Mobility Radeon X1600 graphics with 256MB SDRAM
Wireless Network Card: Built-in 54 Mbps AirPort Extreme (802.11g)
Bluetooth: Built-in Bluetooth 2.0+EDR (Enhanced Data Rate)

Seems like the Alienware is more expensive to me.

View attachment The Apple Store (U.S.).pdf

View attachment Alienware_ Configure Your Area-51 m5790 High-Performance System Today!.pdf

OP
E
Reaction score
watch this

ghz myth

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3WnXaWjQYE

keep in mind you get what you pay for. second just because it has a bigger "faster chip" means nothing.. Mac's run totally different than a PC.

in most cases a chip of half the size/speed on a mac will run the same speed or faster.

but dosen't the MBP use intel chip now? just like the rest of everyone??

and as far as software goes, i think both offer similar the same softwares.

but the LCD screen is the main problem, the LCD screen make a lot % of a laptop cost. (almost the most expansive part of a laptop)

So when u tell me I have to pay more for a smaller LCD, it just dosen't make sense..

am I missing something here??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3
OP
E
Reaction score
That's funny. I went and configured that same Alienware to match the specs as closely to a 15" MBP as possible, and came up with some very different results:

Alienware = $2,784.00

MacBook Pro = $2,499.00

Seems like the Alienware is more expensive to me.

Sorry, I was only talking about the MBP 2.16G and not the MBP 2.33.

But u r right about the mbp 2.33 , the price seems to be the same but still alienware have a larger screen.

anyway as for the MBP 2.16G model; is easy to see that the alienware beat it hands down with just roughly $1400-1600($600 less).

So for $600 you get a smaller LCD for your laptop?? i dunno.. but that make no sense to me.

u said bigger sometime isn't better?? well for laptop LCD screen. it dose. there really no debate on this.
The bigger the screen the more it will costs you, and there is no way around this rule. So why on earth dose the MBP cost more when it's screen is smaller??
not to mention the alienware have higher resolution... so in this case, it is bigger and better.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
No, bigger is only better, if the bigger screen has a higher resolution. THe 17in Alienware had the exact same resolution of the 15in MBP, as shown in DB's post. The screen in the MBP will be much crisper, and cleaner, since it has more pixels per inch.

OP
E
Reaction score
ok i see what u guys getting at, maybe sometime bigger isnt always better.

but how about the video card?? the alienware have a much faster video card then MBP..?

Reaction score
If I was looking for a gaming laptop, I would defiantly go with a Dell XPS or an Alienware over a MacBook Pro.

From what I have seen you can find systems with better specifications on the Windows/Intel side versus Apple. It is always possible to overpay for a laptop so finding 1 to 1 examples that are contrary to what I just said is very very easy.

edit: Even if I was getting a gaming laptop, I wouldn't get 17in.

OP
E
Reaction score
so exactly why people are willing to pay extra when the specs of the machine are just not as good as the alienware ???

warranty? fancy logo???trendy??cool commerical??

technical wise, i just dont see any reasons buying a mbp over an alienware.

hope someone can give me some hard solid technical facts, as why mac are overcharging their customers on their mbp.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
You have to look at it with the entire picture. You aren't just buying a "overpriced" machine. Apple isn't just hardware. Its the software too. Apple bundles $100s of excellent software with every computer they sell. There is one version of OS X, other than the server version. No features are cut out, so there isn't any confusing about what you are/n't getting. Plus, most people will agree, that Macs have a much longer useful life than PCs.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
If bigger is always better, why does this laptop cost over $2000?
Linky

VERY VERY good point mynameis!!

Also I buy Macs because of OSX. If a Mac were just another XP/Vista machine, I would go purchase a Thinkpad and be done with it. It's all the OS. The Machines are very nice also, but OSX is what makes the difference.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Sorry, I was only talking about the MBP 2.16G and not the MBP 2.33.

But u r right about the mbp 2.33 , the price seems to be the same but still alienware have a larger screen.

anyway as for the MBP 2.16G model; is easy to see that the alienware beat it hands down with just roughly $1400-1600($600 less). around this rule.
Still no dice... Alienware is still more expensive. To configure the Alienware to match the specs of a MBP, it comes up like this:

Alienware 2.33Ghz = $2,514.00
MacBook Pro 2.16Ghz = $1,999.00

+The MBP has bulit in BT, that the Alienware doesn't,
+It has a built in DVD-RW/CD-RW that the Alienware doesn't,
+It comes with a 120GB HD that the Alienware doesn't,
+It comes with FrontRow and a remote for it, Alienware doesn't have MediaCenter software or a remote included standard...

If you want to compare specs between the two, then you have to level the field as closely as you can. If you take out the "extras" on the Alienware, then sure it is cheaper, but it doesn't compare to the MBP anymore. It would be a totally stripped down system that would compare more to the MacBook and not the MBP.

Even the bare-minimum Alienware (with the exception of the 2.33Ghz proc) is still priced at $2,099.00, one-hundred dollars more. The only way to drop the Alienware to the $1799.00 price tag is to get the same 2.16Ghz proc... and you still don't have all the specs of the MBP (Bluetooth, WebCam, Media software and remote, FULL operating system {not a crippled "home" edition}, DVD-RW/CD-RW, etc.)

Reaction score
The home of the free and the land that did for Bra
Your Mac's Specs
24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs
Does the Alienware machine have built in camera and microphone for video conferencing? Firewire 800? Large Multi-finger touchpad? Built in Bluetooth and 801n ready WiFi?

With most laptops nowadays the limiting factor is bus speed and HD, virtually all of them have 5400 drives and 667Mhz bus so no matter what graphics chipset you poke in there they will never be as good for games as a desktop with 7200 speed (+ RAID options) drives and > 1Ghz bus speeds.

The 1600 chipset is currently one of the best power consumption/performance compromises for laptops giving you superb performance for all normal day to day stuff and adequate performance for games whilst still returning >3 hour battery time. What is the battery time from full charge for the Alienware offerings I wonder.

Amen-Moses

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.93C2D 4GB
And you came here out of the goodness of your heart to tell us that Macbook pro's are a waste of money? That's sweet. I think it's pretty safe to say that the guys and girls here who own a MBP are old enough and sensible enough to make sure they know what they want to buy when they spend $2000.00.

But, like I said, it is sweet of you to worry...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.