Adding a printer

Reaction score
Hi, just got an iMac 20 and am having a bit of trouble adding a printer. The printer that I have is not listed. I have tried downloading the latest drivers but am stuck as how to install them as it doesn't appear to know what program to use.

Any ideas please?

Reaction score
sajewi -- Is the printer connected by a USB cable or is it wireless?

Are the printer drivers you downloaded specifically for OS X?

What model printer are you trying to connect?

OP
S
Reaction score
ToddG, the printer is connected via USB, I believe that the drives are OS X and the printer is a Lexmark X5150.

Reaction score
sajew -- Try going to this site and trying each of the two drivers available.

They're both listed as Max OS X compatible drivers for the 5150.

OP
S
Reaction score
Todd, thanks for the quick reply. I had downloaded the X5100 Series Installer from there but had no joy with it. I have now downloaded the .hqx file but still no joy. I opened the file and was asked to choose an application, I chose printer setup utility but still no joy.

I know I am missing something but am new it Mac's (this is my first week of ownership) so any further help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Reaction score
I tried downloading the installer myself (even though I don't have a printer) and got a weird text file.

Best advice at this point is probably to contact Lexmark tech support, sorry.

OP
S
Reaction score
Success :) After almost giving up I decided to go on a hunt for the install disks that came with the printer (I wasn't sure that I had kept them), I found them and after going through the install and messing around a bit as the install didn't seem to quite do the complete job I am now able to print.

I did email Lexmark and their suggestion was to start up the system in safe mode to install the printer, needles to say this didn't work.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.