new macbook...i think im in love

Reaction score
my macbook (2ghz, 2gb ram, 120gb hard drive) came this past monday and im slowly getting accustomed to it, but im finding it really hard to shake my old pc habits like right clicking and saving and all that other stuff, but other than that, i cant believe i waited this long to switch!!!

i have a couple questions though...
what kind of email account, besides .mac, can i use with the mail program? can i use hotmail or yahoo or any service like that?

are there any video tutorials out there?? because im starting to get the feel for things, but i think i might be doing things the hard way. im sure there's a million shortcuts i've yet to figure out.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
welcome ysflorante! and congrats on the new macbook!

you can use any pop mail service with mail, it's basically similar to outlook express in windows.

apple's support pages on apple.com has a lot of great info, but i've learned more here than anywhere else.

for starters read through the Mac-Forums Switchers FAQ and Information thread. Lots of great info!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook,2Ghz CD,1.5GBRAM,100GBHD,SL.PowerbookG4 12"1Ghz,768MbRAM,40GBHD,Leopard.imac G3 400Mhz,10.4
You can't use yahoo with out paying for it. And if i remember right, it isn't compatible with mail. But you can use outlook for mac, if you paid for the yahoo mail upgrade.
Gmail works like a dream though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini 09, MBP 12, MBA 15
You can use yahoo and hotmail. You have to pay for the premium service for both tho. In addition you need a plugin for hotmail to work its called httpmail plugin you can find it on version tracker or the like.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook, 2.0 ghz Intel Core 2, 2GB ram||[G4 Imac Flat Panel] |800mhz|1Gb RAM|60gb HDD
Use Gmail, it's the bomb!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini 09, MBP 12, MBA 15
A tip for working with Gmail. Create a rule that any mail received from you Gmail account is moved to the sent mail folder. Saves you the aggravation of seeing every mail you send in your inbox. Other than that Jonnyfive is right it is the bomb.

Ha, that iMac kinda looks like Johnny Five.

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure you can only set up Hotmail accounts in Outlook Express and Outlook though.

Reaction score
i use my gmail account with the mail program. i am thinking about using thunderbird because ive heard a few people rave about it but im not so sure if im ready to set it up or how easy it is to set up. i remember being confused trying to link my gmail account to Mail.

Reaction score
I tried Thunderbird, and actually prefer the OSX Mail program over it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" c2d mbp 2gb ram 120gb hdd
idk if i can say this yet but WELCOME!! i hope your enjoying your mac as much as i am!

as for your mail question i had a similar question earlyer this week
http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53569
thats my thread read it very helpful links in there

i forgot which one i did but it works great im able to do it all through mail with my hotmail account and no need to upgrade the hotmail account im using the freebe one

OP
Y
Reaction score
thanks everyone. i feel so welcome! haha
the more i use it, the more i ask myself why it took so long for me to switch. now i find myself become the mac spokesman to all my friends and im pretty sure theyre tired of me explaining why mac is better

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.