Basic PC to Mac question

Reaction score
Thanks in advance for any help you might give.

I have jpegs on an old PC laptop. It has a 3.5 floppy drive and takes CDs, but no CD burner.

I want to transfer the jpegs to my new Mac Mini which takes only CDs. How can I transfer? Can you run some kind of cable between them?

Help! I am not very thechnically savvy.

Robert

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
The easiest way is if you have an iPod (or any portable drive)...

If you do... just plug it into the PC... Drag your folder full of .jpg's on to the iPod (or drive)... disconnect... plug it into the Mac... drag them from the iPod to whatever folder you want them in.

More detailed info: http://www.apple.com/macosx/switch/howto/ipod.html

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
You could also network them together and transfer them that way. Or.. use the floppy disk drive (what the heck is a flppy drive anyways? :p)

Reaction score
If your PC isn't so old that it doens't have USB ports, get a USB Flash memory stick. You can get pretty big ones for pretty cheap.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
robertward, you may wish to look at my Linux to Mac Switcher's Guide, at:

http://www.campbell-tx.net/MacOSX/Linux2Mac/linux2mac.html

It has a whole section on transferring files to your Mac. Some of it is Linux specific, but much of it isn't.

In general, I would recommend either using a USB memory stick, an iPod in hard disk mode, or a shared FTP server as the simplest approaches. It gets a little more difficult as you move beyond that.

OP
R
Reaction score
Thanks!

All your suggestions were very helpful. I remembered that I had a ZIP drive and I checked and the driver said PC/Mac, so I loaded 'er up and it was easy as pie. Luckily the old PC had a USB port too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
Great! I'm glad you got it all set... WELCOME to the boards!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.