• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Are all large displays around 100dpi?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Core Duo Macbook Pro
I'd always assumed displays went for the 72 dpi, the so-called "screen" resolution.

I currently run a great Philips 20" monitor - the screen quality is fantastic. I've just found out that this, and indeed the Apple Cinema display range are all 100dpi. Is this the norm now for large displays? Is so, should we reclasify screen resolution to 100dpi?

P.S. I'm drooling over the 30" display for my MBP - is it worth the cash?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Screen DPI is strictly a function of your resolution vs. your screen size. I am not sure we can ever really say what is the norm... it depends on the screen you are using and its native resolution. That having been said, 96 DPI to 100 DPI seems pretty standard on lots of larger displays these days.

That 30" monitor? Whether it is worth or not is really up to you. Do you need that much real estate for what you are doing? That is a L-A-R-G-E display. You likely would have to almost sit back to take in the whole thing at once. I find that even a 24" display has that effect on me.

If you are doing serious heavy duty photo or video editing, or REALLY want to watch TV on your screen, it might be worth it.

One last question - does the MBP have the ability to drive a display that large? ...and, does it support dual link DVI, which I understand is needed for most resolutions larger than 1600x1200? I honestly don't know the answers to these questions, but if you will need to find them if you are getting serious about that display! Good luck!

Reaction score
The MacBook Pros do have a dual link DVI port so they can support the 30in.

If I was going to get a 30in LCD, I would get the Dell. I wouldn't be able to justify spending that much more for the aluminum bezel with an Apple logo on it. If it was only $100-200 more, maybe, but the difference is easily more than $700.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D MacBook Pro
I have my PC hooked up to a 37" LCD...god is it amazing. I can't wait to hook up my MBP.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Core Duo Macbook Pro
Do Dell do a 30" monitor? I'm not to keen on the design - my setup at home is all silver and white so a Dell would look out of place. I know the UltraSharps are good value though and are a good spec.

Any Macbook Pro will run a 30" display since it has dual DVI. With normal DVI you can still go up to a 1980 x 1200 display.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.