Logging out WITHOUT closing everything?

Reaction score
I am confused on something.

Is there a way to logout of a user profile but not have it close all my programs?

Kinda like sleep, but password protected (or what windows does during fast user switching)

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Create a second user account. Enable Fast User Switching in login options, your name will appear at the top right of the screen, click it and hit logon window

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook Intel C2D 2.2GHz, 2G, 250G, SD, Leopard.
What are you trying to do? You can password protect sleep. I'm at work so I can't tell you exactly where to go to set it, but it's a checkbox in one of the items in the System Preferences window. Look under the file sharing or other security areas.

OP
DeathtoToasters
Reaction score
That was perfect!

Obvious Fast User Switching is not available with only one account setup.....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)
Go to System Preferences > Security
Select "Require password to wake this computer from sleep or screen saver"

Now go to System Preferences > Desktop and Screen Saver and select the Screen Saver Tab
Select a Screen Saver
Click on the Hot Corners button
From the next pop-up window, select a preferred corner and select Screen Saver
Click OK

Now you are ready to use OS X hot corners function to activate the screen saver. Whenever you want to activate the Screen Saver take the cursor to the preferred corner. When you want to come back just enter your user pw.

OP
DeathtoToasters
Reaction score

Now go to System Preferences > Desktop and Screen Saver and select the Screen Saver Tab
Select a Screen Saver
Click OK

Now you are ready to use OS X hot corners function to activate the screen saver. Whenever you want to activate the Screen Saver take the cursor to the preferred corner. When you want to come back just enter your user pw.

Perfect also! Thanks Again

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
I use all my hot corners for either Exposé or the desktop switcher for Virtue Desktops. So I followed this other tip I found somewhere to put the screen saver on the Dock as a click-to-invoke app. You'll find ScreenSaverEngine in /System/Library/Frameworks/Screensaver.framework/Versions/A/Resources. You can drag ScreenSaverEngine to the Dock and click it anytime you want to invoke. Make sure screen saver is set to be password protected, and you're golden!

Also I find it's too easy to invoke the screen saver in the top corners. If I want to go to the Apple menu it's easy to miss and then I have to type a password. If I want to go to Spotlight once again, easy to miss and I have to type a password. Bottom corners are reserved for two Exposé functions. If I accidentally invoke those it's just another corner hit away from being corrected.

OP
DeathtoToasters
Reaction score
I use all my hot corners for either Exposé or the desktop switcher for Virtue Desktops. So I followed this other tip I found somewhere to put the screen saver on the Dock as a click-to-invoke app. You'll find ScreenSaverEngine in /System/Library/Frameworks/Screensaver.framework/Versions/A/Resources. You can drag ScreenSaverEngine to the Dock and click it anytime you want to invoke. Make sure screen saver is set to be password protected, and you're golden!

Also I find it's too easy to invoke the screen saver in the top corners. If I want to go to the Apple menu it's easy to miss and then I have to type a password. If I want to go to Spotlight once again, easy to miss and I have to type a password. Bottom corners are reserved for two Exposé functions. If I accidentally invoke those it's just another corner hit away from being corrected.

For some reason 'Expose is greyed out :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
I've started to use Deskshade. It has a few features, along with locking the desktop.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.33Ghz Core2Duo MacBook Pro /// 2.2Ghz Core2Duo MacBook

Select a Screen Saver
Click OK

+rep for great tip. Thanks!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.