Harman Kardon SoundSticks II

Reaction score
Hi. I'm planning to buy an iMac soon, and moving my mini and Cinema Display into the living room to use with an Elgato hybrid to watch TV, DVDs and to play music.

Would Harman Kardon SoundSticks be suitable to use as speakers for this purpose? I'm not sure I'll want the subwoofer, but need speakers to go with the Cinema Display.

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook Black 2GB iPod Nano & Black 80GB iPod Classic B&W G3 G4's - PowerMac & Cube
Soundsticks are good for desktop use... like on a desk. I don't know if they would be enough for your whole living room. I think you might want ot go with something a little bit bigger, and louder. You might want to think about a small surround sound setup, or some more powerful speakers. The drivers in the SoundSticks are really small. If you do use them, you are definitely going to want to use the Sub. Honestly, I would go with something bigger and with more power. I like my music loud and with a full sound. I don't think you can get that out of SoundSticks in your living room.

Reaction score
I agree with the post above. A firned of mine has the sound sticks and they sound good if you are sitting at a desk infront of them. However, once you move anywehre in the room the sound quality/volume degrades dramatically. I would spend a little bit more money and buy a decent receiver and some speakers. I've got my iMac running through a pioneer receiver and a set of Klipsch B-2 Bookshelf speakers an I'm impressed with the sound from anywehre in the room.

In short, for your purposes, I'd invest a little more money to get much more enjoyment out of the setup.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.