.dmg applications and heating

Reaction score
I am still getting used to the Mac format (I have a laptop), but so far its been easy and worth it. However, there are some things I cannot figure out, can anyone help?

Question 1:
When I download certian .dmg files, such as google earth and mac the ripper, then run the .dmg file, it does not install the program as an application, but rather as an external drive. Why is it doing this?

Question 2:
I have noticed when I put my computer on my bed that it heats up fast. Is there a temperature monitor that I could open so I can make sure that it does not overheat?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Hello there and welcome to the Forums.
To answer your questions:

1. A .dmg is not an installer. It is a disk image. When you expand it, all it does is appear as a disk on your computer as it should. To physically install something, you have to drag its contents to your Applications folder.

2. First off, I would recommend against using the notebook in bed. So does Apple. There are several temperature monitors, but they are for informational purpose only. If your computer actually does come close to overheating to the point where it might cause damage, it will shut off/go to sleep on its own. There really is no need to constantly monitor the temp and obsess over it. The notebook will take care of itself. :black:

Reaction score
The home of the free and the land that did for Bra
Your Mac's Specs
24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs
I am still getting used to the Mac format (I have a laptop), but so far its been easy and worth it. However, there are some things I cannot figure out, can anyone help?

Question 1:
When I download certian .dmg files, such as google earth and mac the ripper, then run the .dmg file, it does not install the program as an application, but rather as an external drive. Why is it doing this?

Question 2:
I have noticed when I put my computer on my bed that it heats up fast. Is there a temperature monitor that I could open so I can make sure that it does not overheat?

Thanks

1) dmg is short for disc image. You have to drag the application from the mounte dmg volume to wherever you want it to live, usually in the applications folder. After doing this you can eject the dmg volume and delete the dmg file.

2) http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=217823

Amen-Moses

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.