What video type for my website?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
I own a wedding videography company that has a website that I'm currently reworking from the ground up (iWeb code is slow and bloated) using Dreamweaver.

We need a few videos online for demo purposes, but I can't decide on what format to go with, Quicktime (.mov) or Flash (.swf or .flv).

Quicktime looks much better at the same file size, but I don't know if Windows Internet Explorer plays well with QT. Flash on the other hand, looks decent, has small file sizes and is compatible with all (most) up-to-date browsers.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, OSX 10.4.8, 2.33 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
I would go the FLV route. Flash is now bundled with pretty much every browser release. Chances are most (if not all) people will be able to see your videos and hopefully pick up the phone and call.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
I second the .flv choice.
They load faster, and they are much more compatible with different browsers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Core Duo Macbook Pro
As a rule-of-thumb for video through the browser add it into Flash in whatever format it is and let Flash do all the compression. Nowadays Flash's compression ratios are excellent and like has been said almost everyone has Flash. If you need to shave a little of the file quality you can alter the quality to size ratio in Flash for each individual video.

By the way if you're trying to avoid bloated code don't use Dreamweaver. Get a text editor and do it by hand.

Reaction score
As a rule-of-thumb for video through the browser add it into Flash in whatever format it is and let Flash do all the compression. Nowadays Flash's compression ratios are excellent and like has been said almost everyone has Flash. If you need to shave a little of the file quality you can alter the quality to size ratio in Flash for each individual video.

By the way if you're trying to avoid bloated code don't use Dreamweaver. Get a text editor and do it by hand.

First, I agree that Flash is the best way to go, because it is the standard video format for online viewing. Second, I have windows running on my Mac through Parallels and yes Internet Explorer can handle Quicktime videos. Third, I agree that you should not use Dreamweaver, if you want to avoid any unnecessary code. However, I tried to embedd FLV files, using HTML code but it only worked with the SWF format and there were no controls to pause the video (probably because I did not use Javascript for the player, instead of HTML).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.