• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Macintosh - Insanely Great

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook Intel C2D 2.2GHz, 2G, 250G, SD, Leopard.
Would you buy a Mac for $2495? What if it wa in 1984 dollars?! Here's a video I saw at youtube, Steve Jobs on January 24, 1984, introducing Macintosh.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KkENSYkMgs

Oh, and while I'm new to Mac ownership, I used one of the first generation Macs, with MacWrite, MacPaint, and MacDraw. Good memories.

Enjoy. :mac:

T

todd51

Nice find, that was really weird to see how amazing a computer like that was back then.

Just think if you could go back in time and bring your Macbook with you :) They woudln't believe it!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" 5k imac i7, 295x
bring back aq computer from 8 years agoa nd they wouldnt belive it, its crazy.. "400K of storage...CHEER" thats crazy

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
There is an old saying that "the computer you want is always at least $4000.00". I wonder if the current value of those $2495 1984 dollars is close to a today value of $4000.00? Probably more actually, but hmmm...

OP
mathogre
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Alternatively, I wonder how much it would have cost in 1984 to get the amount of computing power in a modest MacBook. It's rhetorical obviously. May the next generations of computers make comparable advancements.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Makes you wonder what the next generation (1 - 2 years from now) will have. I predict:

- Flash Based system boot disk drives in the 100 GB range, able to achieve sub 10s cold boot up times

- Multi terabyte hard disks

- 16 core CPUs, running at 5 GHz or higher

- Bluray/HDDVD media reader/burner

- Combined computer/AppleTV functionality in same box

- What comes after WiFi standard "n"? In one to two years, that may be coming out too.

What else? What do others think?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, I missed that didn't I? :) My guess: 4 GB in the next 1-2 years, based on current trends.

OP
mathogre
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3D chips. That is, multi-layer chips. Going multicore allows the fabricators to process more data; layering them preserves real estate. This is probably 20 years away, and I'm not quite sure how it would be used, though you'll probably need it for MS Word 2027. :tusks:

Hmmm... language processing, speech processing, visual perception processing. Yeah, I could think of some uses for a 16^3 core processor (4096 cores total), but that might not be quite enough.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
bring back aq computer from 8 years agoa nd they wouldnt belive it, its crazy.. "400K of storage...CHEER" thats crazy

same statement made in 2006: "400k of storage...BOOOOOOO" then apples stock disappears.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook
ah, some classic lines in that movie. Insanely Great! Never trust a computer you can't lift. Hefty price tag for the time, but he's one heck of a convincing speaker.

And I never realised until just now that this ad was the ad Futurama made a spoof of. Of course, I was only 1 when this was made...well, not even that actually.

M

MacHeadCase

What a world of difference and quite refreshing/classy after seeing hysteria like this...
icon11.gif

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
heck, i just picked up a couple year old copy of popular science and found an ad for a 256Mb flash drive. It's price? oh, only about two-hundred bucks.

My dad had one of those classic macs, might have been the macintosh II? it was new around 1986 or 87. kind of fun to mess around with paint and such, but i didn't really get into computers until about 1996.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
yeah, that makes my man howard dean look completely civilized.

OP
mathogre
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.