Mac little newbee: how to transfer images from my Canon Powershot to my Macbook?

Reaction score
Hi! I'm totally new to a mac, also new to this forum. Happy to get to know you guys! :headphone

I've got a question: Later when I used my PC with WinXP, once I connected the camera to the PC it always transfered the images automatically (with Photo wizard). But now with my Mac when I connect them two, nothing happens. Mine is a Canon Powershot A80, its installation disks are all for PC so I don't know if it needs a special program to transfer images, or any other way? Please help! Thankyou!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
You can get the Mac software at Canon's website here.

Also, iPhoto will be able to transfer them. Connect the cam, and open iPhoto.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
As an alternative, you can get a card reader, plug that into your Mac, and then simply place your camera's memory card into it. You can then copy the images off the card and onto your Mac. This is what I do with my Canon and with my Casio as well.

Card readers are inexpensive ($10 - $20) and available from places like Best Buy, Circuit City and so on. They generally require no additional softare installation. When you plug your card in, it will show up as a disk on your desktop.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
As an alternative, you can get a card reader, plug that into your Mac, and then simply place your camera's memory card into it. You can then copy the images off the card and onto your Mac. This is what I do with my Canon and with my Casio as well.

I do this also, and it will save on the batteries in your camera.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
I do this also, and it will save on the batteries in your camera.

ditto.

got this sandisk one at bby recently for about 14 bucks:

6785393_sa.jpg

Reaction score
Before going and thowing around your money, why don't you just try opening iPhoto and see if the camera shows up?

Reaction score
Hi! I'm totally new to a mac, also new to this forum. Happy to get to know you guys! :headphone

I've got a question: Later when I used my PC with WinXP, once I connected the camera to the PC it always transfered the images automatically (with Photo wizard). But now with my Mac when I connect them two, nothing happens. Mine is a Canon Powershot A80, its installation disks are all for PC so I don't know if it needs a special program to transfer images, or any other way? Please help! Thankyou!!!

G'day meodaugau & welcome to Mac-Forums.

Your MacBook should already have everything you need for basic transferrence of your digital images. It comes preinstalled with Image Capture & iPhoto (or it should).

Navigate to Macintosh HD>Applications>Image Capture.app and double click it to launch the app.

Once Image Capture is open, connect your Canon PowerShot A80 to your Macs USB port. Image Capture should then recognise that there is a digital camera attached to the Mac and offer you options as to where you want the downloads to go and whether or not you want to pick and choose which images to download (Download Some).

This is one method and frankly the method that suits my needs as I like to be able to select/deselect which photos I want to download from my camera.

The alternative is to use iPhoto. If iPhoto doesn't automatically launch when you connect your Canon A80, then look to the preferences in Image Capture:

Image Capture>Preferences.....>Camera: When a camera is connected, open ..... from the drop-down menu you can either select iPhoto or leave it set to Image Capture or whatever you have chosen as your default image handling app.

I didn't like using iPhoto as it doesn't allow you to select what to download. Sometimes I'd download a 'Roll' and end up deleting half of them. Next time I'd connect my camera iPhoto would re-download the photos I'd trashed. It won't re-download a photo from your camera if you already have that photo in your library from a prior download, so that's good but in my opinion I needed more out of it. Hence, I use Image Capture.

OP
meodaugau
Reaction score
Yeah!!! Thankyou everybody. iTunes works great! Thankyou Pulse-8 to show me a bunch of good information ^_^

And this is the result, have just been taken:

mypiano.jpg

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.