ifille - still freeware? Any other options? (psd to pdf)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook white, 2.0 Intel Core 2 Duo Pro, 2 GB RAM, 13" screen
I'm looking for something to change a psd file into a pdf. I found a couple other threads here about converters. Is there another way to do it that's already on my machine (new Macbook) or do I need an app?

I'd loooove something free. :)

I saw a post here about iFille and that it was on the apple site as freeware. Is that still available free? I couldn't find it on their site.

TIA

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
well since .psd's are photoshop files, and the only way to make them is in photoshop, I guess it would be safe to assume that you have photoshop. If this is the case, open up the .psd in photoshop then go to file print, and in the bottom left hand corner of the print window there is a button that says pdf, click on this and it will save your file as a pdf.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Preview will open .psd files and then you can save them as PDF's in Preview.

OP
rcronin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Preview isn't working...?

sooo....nothing happens when I click on Preview, although I swore I used it yesterday.

Was I supposed to buy this and my free trial expired? I don't see it on the apple site, either.

I already restarted and nothing changed. When I looked for it in finder, nothing happens when I click on the application file.

I'm more than a bit lost...lol

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
Wait, you lost preview?

hit apple+space and type preview in the box that appears in the upper right, then type in preview and see if the application shows up.

OP
rcronin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yep, it's there and it was in finder, too. but nothing happens when I click on it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook
Preview is just an image viewer application. Opening the app by itself will do nothing more than launch the app. To open the .psd in Preview, you can open Preview, then choose File>Open, or drag the .psd onto the Preview icon in the dock, or right-click the .psd file, and choose open with>preview.

Once you've got that, you can follow the steps above to convert it to a pdf. Good luck!

OP
rcronin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well preview is still MIA. but I figured out how to save the file as a PDF. although it mangled it a bit. I eventually saved it for web and changed it to a JPEG which was okay for the purpose.

Whew. Long day sucking at everything technical today and getting little accomplished. *sigh*

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
I believe that GIMP will open .psd files. You need to install Apple X11 (on your OS X install disks) and then get gimp.app. That will let you open the .psd and save it in another format.

I am out of town on a business trip as I type this, and don't have access to my Mac (which does have X11 and GIMP loaded) so I can't check whether PDF is one of the formats you can chose.

If not, you can save it in some other more common format like .jpg and use something like Safari to save it in PDF (use the File->Print->PDF menu to achieve this).

OP
rcronin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Figured out the Preview problem

Switcher problem is more like it.

I didn't realize that Preview was open. I was looking for an open window/screen. I didn't realize that it was just a change in the menu bar at the top of the screen.

What a waste of time. At least I got my PSD docs changed to PDF's in a few secs flat once I figured it out.

Thanks for trying to help me!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.