• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

What do you do when bored at work?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.33Ghz Core2Duo MacBook Pro /// 2.2Ghz Core2Duo MacBook
Ok. I'll start.

Right now I'm bored at work (24-hr duty day) so I'm surfing M-F and watching Over The Hedge on my iPod.

I also enjoy playing mini-golf and tetris in MS excel...

When times are really bad me & the boys huddle around the bonfire (space heater) and drink coffee, and talk about whatever comes up.

When times are really, really bad, I go down to the machinery room and hug around steam piping, drinking coffee with the boys down stairs and talking about whatever.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13 Inch, 2 Mac Mini's 1.66 & 1.83, 2- iMac Intel i3 iPhone 4 & iPad 2 32 gig.
I do a bit of web surfing, and check in on a few sites like this one to see wha is going on. What do you do that you are there 24 hrs? Usually Fire Fighters come to mind.

OP
nukemm
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.33Ghz Core2Duo MacBook Pro /// 2.2Ghz Core2Duo MacBook
U.S. Navy. Only instead of answering a phone like the majority of the Navy, I actually have a job overnight. Right now I'm the man in charge of one of the machinery rooms (main engines, electric generators, water plants, etc.) on an aircraft carrier. Beyond the machinery room, I also am in charge of the potable (drinking) water and the service steam system... pretty much an on-call plumber, lol.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" 5k imac i7, 295x
i play line rider. or browse some sites like here (but im at school in class)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3" MacBook Intel Core Duo 2GHz, 60GB HD, 512MB DDR2, and the SuperDrive.
Shots... but I don't imagine everyone can get away with that one...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macky the 21.5'' iMac 2.7ghz i5 8GB, Mr. Pink 64GB iPhone 6, iPad Jr. 16GB Air 2, 13'' MBAir 1.6Ghz
There's no down time at my job :) Those kids keep me on my feet all day long.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.2GHz MBP w/ 2GB of ram and 320 GB HD, 4GB iPhone, 60GB iPod
i spend most of my duty day inside an airplane, usually in the air. if im not kicking people or cargo out the back ive got my feet up and either reading, listening to my ipod or playing solitaire on my (government issued haha) palm pilot.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macky the 21.5'' iMac 2.7ghz i5 8GB, Mr. Pink 64GB iPhone 6, iPad Jr. 16GB Air 2, 13'' MBAir 1.6Ghz
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MBP 2.4 GHz C2D/27" Core i7 iMac
I always seem to find away to get on the various forums I post on. Or I'll head out to the shop and BS with the machinists for a little bit. :black:

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
well, my shifts are 18:30 - 06:30, 3 days one week, 4 the next.

there are lots of times i'm not doing much of anything.

so i'm here a lot (obviously ;) ) and i also...
browse flickr
listen to old episodes of 'this american llfe'
browse one or two other mac sites and other tech sites
browse stuff on cartalk.com and edmunds/carsoup
do crosswords and sudoku
keep up with facebook and myspace

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
I lock my office door, close the shades, put on my iPod and sleep.

T

todd51

Unfortunately I don't have a job right now, I should be getting one soon though! I heard of 2 job offers through people (it's who you know, not what you know :)) that should pull through!

Then I'll finally be able to upgrade this MBP here so it can finally experience at least a gig of ram!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.93C2D 4GB
I do a lot of Web Browsing, chatting on Gmail, playing PSP and (When I'm on the late shift like this week) I bring in the portable DVD player.
IT Helpdesk I Love You.

???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.0Ghz
I am a Teacher so I am am either teaching, getting ready to teach or listening to/watching something on my iPod.

I sometimes have loads of free time in the days and others none, I usually go to starbucks with the MBP in those cases.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
50 - 60 hrs; ain't no slack time here; don't think i've had a job with slack time since before the advent of computers, most days leave office with another hour (or day's worth) of work still left to do, and don't know that i could handle a job where i had an hour a day with nothing to do - but, think i would like to try one

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.93C2D 4GB
Live to work, or work to live?

Bobtomay, I'd say that if the opportunity comes your way then to try it. I always have something to do wether that's watch a film or read a book that would normally only be in my spare time. I love being able to do these while getting paid and also not failing to do my job (In fact they made me account lead as I do my job better than others here). There are people here that dislike the "down time" but, like I said, I have ways to keep my brain active.

Seeing as this is not my ideal job and not exactly a difficult position I like the fact that I get to do "my stuff" here too. Ideally I would like a job that I enjoyed though and would gladly sacrifice the down time. Anyone need a photographer?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Bobtomay, I'd say that if the opportunity comes your way then to try it. I always have something to do wether that's watch a film or read a book that would normally only be in my spare time. I love being able to do these while getting paid and also not failing to do my job (In fact they made me account lead as I do my job better than others here). There are people here that dislike the "down time" but, like I said, I have ways to keep my brain active.

Seeing as this is not my ideal job and not exactly a difficult position I like the fact that I get to do "my stuff" here too. Ideally I would like a job that I enjoyed though and would gladly sacrifice the down time. Anyone need a photographer?

Yeah, have tried leaving my profession several times over the years, including trying computer tech support. Think my ideal job would probably be audio / video or maybe even computer sales (love that stuff and had one job back in the early 70's selling hi end audio equip, to this day my favorite job), but then not interested in having to work weekends and definitely not interested in the pay cut sure to come with it (at least at this time). And probably by the time I am ready to change, no one will want an old fart in that position.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.93C2D 4GB
Yeah, sadly money always seems to get in the way...and being an old fart can't help :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air | iPad | iPhone | iPod Classic | iPod Shuffle | no more money
Web surfing for me - my last job did not give me any web access at all - just intranet and after a couple of months there wasn't a great deal that I hadn't seen/read. I started passing my time by emailing people - my emails were getting pretty big towards the end - you know the 6000 word essay which ultimately says Yes.

Ah; the good old days. (By the way my use of email was not the reason I'm currently not working ;) )

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.