So, Im fairly confident with HTML... what next?

Reaction score
Ok, I have a pretty comprehensive knowledge of HTML at this stage...
well... I HATE CSS..... I JUST DESPISE IT!

Anyway, Im trying to decide what to learn next. I was considering perhaps:

Javascript
PHP
mySQL
Java

Thing is I dont know what to learn! I want to learn something of benefit to me of course.

Anyone got any suggestions?:bomb:

Reaction score
I would suggest learning CSS even though you hate it because web sites are now pretty much CSS based and not much HTML.

After that move to PHP/MYSQL so you can make dynamic web sites.

I went from HTML to PHP/MYSQL to CSS to ASP.NET 2

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
PHP is likely the next step up. As I understand it, it is programming for web pages, which is different from HTML, which is just formatting for web pages. I have been contemplating the same thing myself these days.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Why would you possibly hate css?

It makes designing a complete website a lot less work.

Personally I learned html & css and am now starting to learn python.
There's an objectiveC python bridge that lets you build python apps in XCode.

OP
I
Reaction score
I guess I dont like CSS because I find it annoying that it just doesnt stick in my mind the same way as other things like HTML and "Windows" command line stuff does.

I can never remember ANY css! Its kinda funny.

I dont know.

Anyone recommend any books perhaps?

OP
I
Reaction score
Thanks, I might have a look for that .... I gotta get some stuff from Amazon anyway.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Core Duo Macbook Pro
If you aren't willing to learn CSS you shouldn't really be developing websites. Once you start using CSS for your layouts rather than tables you'll find your sites are better for users and bots and are easy to maintain and modify.

You should next learn JavaScript as this will compliment your knowledge of the client-side nicely. Then conisder PHP and MySQL. Both are free, powerful, easy to learn and are widely used.

Reaction score
If you aren't willing to learn CSS you shouldn't really be developing websites. Once you start using CSS for your layouts rather than tables you'll find your sites are better for users and bots and are easy to maintain and modify.

You should next learn JavaScript as this will compliment your knowledge of the client-side nicely. Then conisder PHP and MySQL. Both are free, powerful, easy to learn and are widely used.

I agree with this statement. I use CSS in my website and its great. All I need to do is go to one CSS file to change the appearance of all my pages at once. Javascript is a nice thing to learn too, because you can have an image gallery run like a slide show or let the visitors know when the site was last modified. I also agree with learning PHP and MySQL, after Javascript, because they are not that easy to master the coding for, but you get to create guestbooks, allow authorized users on your site, get IP address and names of browsers that you visitors use, and create feedback forms. I am not sure about you, but it is such a pain to go through all of those pages just to change one attribute, when all I really needed were embedded stylesheets. As for Java, you should not tackle this until you can handle C programming with no difficulty; although C programming is not used for websites, it is what C++ and Java are based off of. So, think about it, "why you are developing websites, if you aren't willing to learned CSS?" After all, some of that HTML code is obsolete, due to the abilities of CSS.

edit: As for books, I recommend the In Easy Steps Series. Sure it is written as if you were using windows or Linux, but some information in there can be carried over to Mac. It is only about $9.95 at Barnes & Noble or you can get those books from Amazon.com. The great thing is that most of their books have colored illustrations, so you know what to expect from the code that you type in.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.