Thinking about selling my Dell m1210 to get a macbook...

Reaction score
I am a 20 year old college student who has been a windows user for all his life. To be honest I never even considered the possibility of switching to mac until the past couple of days. In fact, I just got myself a $3000 Dell m1210 (12 inch laptop) a couple of months ago. As with every PC I had to spend countless hours troubleshooting, updating drivers, sorting out software conflicts which made my pc crash etc etc...eventually I solved these typical pc problems which come with all new PCs. I thought it was worth it because I never even considered that there was a valid alternative to the buggy PC software until I saw the new macbook the one of my buddies just got.

I was amazed by the way it turned on in a few seconds and its apparent simplicity. He allowed me to use it for a bit and I was very impressed. The software seemed very stable and user friendly, and the machine obviously looked beautiful...but that was no surprise to me. Anyway, he he too is a pc user that just switched to mac and he said that in over a week he didn't have a single software problem...not even a single lock-up. He did a good job in publicizing his new macbook...and now I'm terribly tempted to get one myself.

Keeping in mind that I'm a bit of a computer geek that has been using windows for over 10 years do you think it's worth selling my brand new dell to get a macbook?

All opinions are appreciated,
Thanks

CPT REDRUM

Reaction score
Since you've obviously played around with it, I'd say you'll love a mac. As a computer geek, your learning curve will be very small, too, and you should just keep in mind that using a Mac is indeed a bit different from using a PC, there are details to be learnt in the beginning. But once this learning stretch is over, you'll be horrified the next time you sit down in front of a PC.

Go ahead and do something good for yourself. Switch. (Apple, I own the copyright to that line).

OP
CPT REDRUM
Reaction score
Yeah, I'll make my decision this weekend. If I do decide to get one I'll probably give my laptop to my parents so at least I won't be throwing away over $1k of software.

I'm having a really hard time deciding whether to get the black one or white one. The black one maybe looks a bit better but it looks like a finger print magnet...what to guys think?

As far as software goes I'm gonna have to get photoshop cs2 and office again...but that's not too bad since the student editions are fairly cheap. Is there any must have software which I might want to order with my mac?

...oh and how does OSX work in terms of security, does it have an inbuilt firewall and anti virus or do you need to get third party programs like with windows? I know that macs aren't supposed to have many viruses...but you can never be too safe...

Anyway, I'm tempted to order the following-

White Macbook $1973
-2GB Ram
-160HD
-2Ghz dual core
-3 year apple protection plan

...and also-
-Incase Neoprene Sleeve
-Office
-Photoshop CS2
-30gb ipod (since my 4th gen is getting kinda old)

What do you guys think? Am I missing anything? Any suggestions?

Thanks,
CPT REDRUM

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook C2D 2 GHz 2 GB RAM 120 GB HD.
Blackbook does collect fingerprints.

It does for me. However, just clean it with iKlear and a cloth and you'll be fine. A few fingerprints I can deal with. I like Black alot more.

OP
CPT REDRUM
Reaction score
Sorry folks...but after speaking with one of my professors and a few other friends I decided to stick with good'ol buggy windows. Considering that I'm studying business management it's probably a better choice for me since my future employer(s) will certainly be using windows and therefore switching to mac make for the the next few years will only make going back to windows harder. Other than that I don't think I can be bothered to switch all my files to mac.
Thanks for the advice anyway.

CPT REDRUM

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
Don't let your career control the computer you use. Plus with your macbook you can dual-boot with windows.

I'm probably worse off then you are. I'm an engineering student. All the software I use in school is windows based. Its not stopping me from using a computer that "just works." You don't hear of engineering firms using Macs. Although there is some software similar to the windows version, its not the same.

Reaction score
In school all I was taught to use was a PC. When I finally decided to buy a computer for home I went with the mac because of how easy it was to use. Everything from setting up the computer to downloading new programs/applications was easy. I'm not very computer literate at all so I can't even imagine trying to set up a PC. As StretchR said you can run windows on the macbook too.

T

todd51

Yea, I hope you do realize with that Macbook you picked out, it will do really well (especially since you maxed out the ram) dual-booting Windows. That way you can use OSX for your personal life, and Windows XP for your school applicatons and all that. :)

Just consider it. Weigh the Pro's and Con's, that's what I did.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook CoreDuo 1.25Gb Ram WiFi'd To Airport Extreme!
i just found out today at Wayne State University in Detroit, MI they are requiring Apple laptops for some of their programs

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro - 15.4" 1680x1050 Antiglare - 2.7Ghz Quad Core i7 - 8GB RAM - 750GB 7200RPM HDD
I'm in the same boat with you. I was Windows hardcore since 3.1 (and tabworks haha) and had to switch when I got to college due to a major related requirement. I am a believer now. I'll never switch back. Even with the dual boot I can do everything. So if you're still considering getting one, do it! You might even see if your school has a discount. I got mine for 1575 all together with a 3 year apple care plan and all. I go to Ball State.

Trent out

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
If a school requirement dictates Windows that is a) stupid and b) asinine. Now when your employer requires Windows that's one thing, especially if they are providing the equipment. Like mine does.

So I got a Macbook and Parallels. I run my employer's software on the VM and still get to do the Mac thing. It's a Mac all the time, and Windows only when necessary while still being a Mac.

Since most employers or schools won't be requiring that you be able to play the latest EXTREME games this doesn't limit you. Parallels on a Macbook will let you do all the mundane, tedious, and soul-sucking thing you need to do to make a living, or all the possibly exciting, but in the first years most probably just as mundane/tedious as a job does.

OS X let's me keep my sanity.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, core 2 2ghz,
Im a CS student and alot of people on my course have or are getting macbooks and ibooks (even the lecturers). Im still using a windows laptop at the minute but should be getting a macbook next month. Cant wait.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.