Is the MacBook good enough?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro-2.16Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo-3GB RAM-120GB HDD
I apologize if this has already been discussed but I haven't found much info doing searches. I am very new to Mac (going on 2 weeks) and newer to recording music on a computer. I have a Roland TD3SW Electronic Drum Kit. I have a friend that records his music on a PC using Ableton Live. He wants me to start recording drum tracks for him. I was wondering 1) Is my black MacBook (2Ghz core2Duo, 2 GB RAM, 120GB HDD) powerful enough for recording music 2) what additional hardware do I need to hook my drum kit up to the MacBook 3) Will I also need Abelton Live to add my drumming in or can Garage Band open files from Abelton?

All feedback is much appreciated!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD
The macbook is more than enough for music recording. What interface is the drum kit? The Apple store has an entire section for music interfaces, so you should find something in there to fit.

I've no idea about software compatibility, I'm afraid.

OP
egandolfi
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro-2.16Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo-3GB RAM-120GB HDD
The drum kit is midi. I actually have a PC version of Ableton and I just found out the serial number will work for the Mac version too so I am set in the software dept.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD
In that case you just need something like this to connect to. OS X has pretty comprehensive MIDI support built in. Just go to Applications->Utilities->Audio MIDI Setup

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.2GHz MBP w/ 2GB of ram and 320 GB HD, 4GB iPhone, 60GB iPod
your macbook will do fine. i use a 1.83 macbook, and when i started using it, only had 512 ram. recording 8 simultanous tracks occasionally timed out, or would if i had like 10 plugins running at once, but for basic midi and some drum recording, youll be fine.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.