admin rights/permissions help required

Reaction score
i have just gotten an old windows hdd hooked up thru an external caddy, however it has all my old windows stuff - which i would like to rid myself of but whenever i try to delete it tells me that t shall be deleted immediately - which is what i want, - though when i accept this it tells me i do not have sufficient permissions to carry out the actions - any ideas folks on how to clean it up

thanks,

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Is the drive formatted as NTFS? If it is, then you won't be able to delete anything from it using your Mac.

OP
V
Reaction score
Is the drive formatted as NTFS? If it is, then you won't be able to delete anything from it using your Mac.

i take it then i could go to a windows machine and delete from there? or would i have to change it to fat32?

thanks for your help btw

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Yes, you can take it to a Windows machine to delete it. Mac OS X cannot write to a NTFS formatted drive. Deleting something would require Mac OS X to write over the data you are trying to remove.

OP
V
Reaction score
Yes, you can take it to a Windows machine to delete it. Mac OS X cannot write to a NTFS formatted drive. Deleting something would require Mac OS X to write over the data you are trying to remove.

thanks m8, much appreciated

OP
V
Reaction score
doh - forgot about disk utility.

used disk utility to partition the drive, then to erase the drive and changed the permissions.

thanks for the help folks

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.