Automatic spellcheck function, Queen's English please!

Reaction score
When I use Firefox, my spelling is automatically highlighted is "wrong". That is very nice. Is it a function of Firefox itself, or is it OSX doing it? Anyway I would really like it to be in English English, as at the moment is it saying my spelling is wrong when it is right (according to the English of England). How can I change it?
(Step by step instructions very appreciated.)
Thank you so much!
Justin

Reaction score
Go to the blue apple in the top left > System Preferences. Choose "International". Und the Language tab, drag British English to the top of the list. Now OS X Spellchecker will use Brtish English as the default. So you can go about criticising and organising all you want.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
If you must spelle wourds with extraneous letteres that are completly dissociated with their pronunsiation, then you should also download the British English version of Firefox from the "Other versions and languages" page. (Firefox does not use the system spellchecker.)

Reaction score
Hey, technologist. I think their is something wrong with your spell checker. Are you sure you didn't accidentally set it to Dutch ? :cool:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD
One way to do it is to right click on a highlighted word. At the bottom there is a 'languages' option, with the ability to add dictionaries. This will let you add British English to the installation you already have.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro-2.16Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo-3GB RAM-120GB HDD
You guys are cracking me up!!!!!! ROTFLOL!!!

OP
J
Reaction score
Go to the blue apple in the top left > System Preferences. Choose "International". Und the Language tab, drag British English to the top of the list. Now OS X Spellchecker will use Brtish English as the default. So you can go about criticising and organising all you want.

Okay so I did what you said. But I noticed something wierd. One optoin is Australian English (do they really speak English? Hey only joking!) No but really, what is unique about it? Maybe it has G'day and fair dinkum?! (Oo that got my spell checker going!)

No but actually what I noticed was it had US English, and British English, as well as English!! If "English" is not British English (as it should be if it wants to spell correctly), and not even the colonial US English dialect, then what on earth would "English" be?

Justin.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Okay so I did what you said. But I noticed something wierd. One optoin is Australian English (do they really speak English? Hey only joking!) No but really, what is unique about it? Maybe it has G'day and fair dinkum?! (Oo that got my spell checker going!)

No but actually what I noticed was it had US English, and British English, as well as English!! If "English" is not British English (as it should be if it wants to spell correctly), and not even the colonial US English dialect, then what on earth would "English" be?

Justin.

LOL! I once had a friend that moved to the States from the UK. I often found it funny when people criticized his (British) English accent. He would often say "I'm not the one with the accent, you are! This is how it's meant to be spoken". From our often ethnocentric perspective, we immediately see it as others having the accent - or using the wrong spelling in print - but we fail to realize the origins of the language.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I often found it funny when people criticized his (British) English accent. He would often say "I'm not the one with the accent, you are! This is how it's meant to be spoken".

There's actually more variation across a single county in the UK than there is across the entire of the US. There are broad extremes, but there are some British English accents that even I can't understand!

Reaction score
I believe the Trash is called Wastebasket if the entire system is set to British English?

English is probably just proper oxford without the localized vocabulary or spelling.

OP
J
Reaction score
I believe the Trash is called Wastebasket if the entire system is set to British English?

English is probably just proper oxford without the localized vocabulary or spelling.
Well, I thought I had changed the right part to British English but my trash is still called trash. Where I come from we put things in the bin.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, I thought I had changed the right part to British English but my trash is still called trash. Where I come from we put things in the bin.

Yes, trash is still trash. We know what it means so there's little point changing it. I would like it if 'Send to trash' was changed to 'Put it int' bin' though :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3" MacBook Intel Core Duo 2GHz, 60GB HD, 512MB DDR2, and the SuperDrive.
I was going to make a social commentary on living in the southern United States, and how I was so pleased that most software companies would never entertain the notion of allowing 'ain't' or 'y'all' to be considered words. And then I noticed that Firefox didn't underline those entries...

Reaction score
I just set my default language to Australian Dictionary just because I can. I read somewhere that the best Queens English is actually spoken in Aberdeen, Scotland.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.