• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Again I'm reminded why I love my Mac...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.33Ghz Core2Duo MacBook Pro /// 2.2Ghz Core2Duo MacBook
I'm running AVG virus-scan right now on my PC. Still... 2+ hours and still scanning. :(

That's what I get for having so much hdd space, eh?
:D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
How big is the HD?

Reaction score
I never did get this "argument" for mac vs pc. Run that stuff at night when you are in bed.

virus scan
defrag
spyware scan

I mean I DO realize these things arent necessary on a Mac, but these are things that can be scheduled and run on a pc when you arent actually on the pc.

OP
nukemm
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
How big is the HD?

Currently 2 physical drives, 40GB and 160GB, both old (6 years for the 40GB, probably 3 or so for the 160GB) and slow.

I never did get this "argument" for mac vs pc. Run that stuff at night when you are in bed.

virus scan
defrag
spyware scan

I mean I DO realize these things arent necessary on a Mac, but these are things that can be scheduled and run on a pc when you arent actually on the pc.

I do realize this, but I did a search for an error that I was getting, and found that it is a trojan remnant, so I wanted to be fully rid of it. After a while, it got it all... so my PC is now error-free, spyware free, and virus free. Yipee!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Just so you know, the time it takes for a program to scan your drive isn't based on the size of the drive but rather the number of files on that particular drive. So you could have two identical drives, but if one has twice the number of files, it'll take twice as long. Granted, larger drives tend to have more files, which would directly affect the time it takes to finish a scan.

The only thing that is actually affected by drive size is a format.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air | iPad | iPhone | iPod Classic | iPod Shuffle | no more money

virus scan
defrag
spyware scan

I mean I DO realize these things arent necessary on a Mac, but these are things that can be scheduled and run on a pc when you aren't actually on the pc.
The Green answer: Very few people would argue that global warming is just a word that someone thought up and as such; unless you NEED your PC on over night then you should turn it off just to save that very small amount of electricity and related carbon emissions.

Me Personally: Well I'm a light sleeper - or at least I find it difficult to get to sleep when there is any noise and sometimes light irritates me as well - once I'm asleep that's a different matter and I can sleep through anything - My PC is in my room and even when it was working fine - leaving it on overnight - which I have done in the past - drove me up the wall. The noise (which wasn't so bad until recently) and the activity light on the front of the case - ARRGH!
Recently: The fan on my graphics card has become 'unseated' or something and sounds like a tractor - so there is NO chance I could get to sleep with that racket!

To end: I've just put McAfee VirusScan 2007 on the PC and it is quite a bit faster at scanning my machine than the 2006 version was. I rarely need 100% of my CPU power so like right now as I am typing this; the virus scanner is going through my hard drive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
My PC is too loud in my room to run things when I'm asleep. I really need a new PSU I think!

Whereas my iMac at work is silent. I really don't know how they do that. My housemate's laptop is louder than my iMac!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air | iPad | iPhone | iPod Classic | iPod Shuffle | no more money
My previous laptop (sold now to go towards the macbook fund all donations greatly appreciated ;) ) was unbelievably loud! I remember trying to watch DVDs on it. There were 3 fans on this thing. one was running all the time then another one came on with a little CPU work and then this tiny one would come on when you were really working it. Trying to watch a DVD and about 15 minutes into the film all 3 fans would be running and it was loud enough to dull the sound coming from the laptops speakers - I had to hook it up to some amplified speakers to watch a film! This obviously made it less portable and the speakers needed more room so I'd have to sit at a desk or something to watch a film....

Oh and as you might well guess - those 3 fans did nothing for the battery life!

OP
nukemm
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't worry too much about noise with my PC, it sits under my desk, and to make things better I have a rheostat on my fan controller that allows me to adjust the max RPM, and then a software fan controller that cranks up the speed as necessary based on pre-determined temperature setpoints. Needless to say, it doesn't make too much noise being a fileserver... ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.