• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Applecare -should i get it

Reaction score
I got the macbook core duo 1.83ghz the day it came out last year (may 16th so wikipedia says). I didnt buy applecare at the time and it runs out on may 16th this year. do you think i should get it?

the only thing i had replace was the plastic piece around the keyboard, because i scuffed it up too much (and my hands got sweaty and left nasty marks, its happening again kind of, NOT discoloration though - they were kind to replace it) and the battery because my other one would just die after 40% charge left.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3
I was just reading and replying to a similiar thread:

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51497

I suggest you get it.. My wife and I have both had issues with our Powerbooks and all the issues came up in the 13 month of owning the units... without apple care we would have been out over $1,000 with parts and labor.. For us it was worth it.. but you may buy it and never have to use it.. I guess it comes down to how lucky you feel. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac 20" 216 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor, 1GBSDRAM, 250 GB hd, Airport Extreme, Bluetooth 2.0
Same old dilemma...to buy extended warranty or not to buy? Sometimes we don't need it and feel it was a waste of $'s other times as kodorsean notes it's very well worth it and we breathe a sigh of relief. For me, I think an investment like a mac is well worth the cost to have the security just in case. Guess is a personal preference and personal past experience.

Reaction score
I think it's definitely worth it with one caveat...it's rumored that Apple will be sending their support overseas (India). If that happens well I'm not sure anymore. Those overseas support groups are really sketchy unless you have a simple question that falls within their "script"..

I had it on my PowerBook G4 and it was great. That has since expired so I'm on my own now. I did have one repair towards the end of the AppleCare contract that would have cost over $400 so I guess it was worth it---plus I used it a lot to have them help me through questions.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.0Ghz(CD)/512/80/128MB VRAM/15"
Useually i'd reccomend against an extended warranty but apple OEM replacement parts are *^%$ing expensive! a new superdrive is about the same as a lexus lease payment....

its worth the cash. I'll be buying mine as soon as i can find $300

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac 20" 216 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor, 1GBSDRAM, 250 GB hd, Airport Extreme, Bluetooth 2.0
Useually i'd reccomend against an extended warranty but apple OEM replacement parts are *^%$ing expensive! a new superdrive is about the same as a lexus lease payment....

its worth the cash. I'll be buying mine as soon as i can find $300

Mine was $169.00, not $300. Isn't it the same everywhere?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 17" 2.6GHz 4GB RAM
Definitely worth it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.2GHz Intel i7 W/16GB Ram & 256GB SSD
I am buying a new Macbook Pro and i shelled out the extra $349 for the Apple Care. expecially with Laptops. You never know what will happen.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MacBook Black
i vote worth it, btw. whats 200$ when you consider it is protecting something you just shelled out 2000 for!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.