• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

iMac opinions...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro Core Duo 1.83ghz 1gb ram 80gb HD
so...my girlfriend has been an apple hater ever since I got my macbook pro. A few days ago she just informed me that she wants an iMac...how ironic :p

She is looking to spend ~1000 on it. Anything over 1000 I will have to pitch in.

Our dilema is this...

17" imac 1.83 = $899 (with my student discount) + 1gb ram [total] ($68) = $1025 (inc. tax)

OR

17" imac 2.0 = 1099 (with my student discount) + tax = $1164.94

OR get the 1.83 (with 1gb total ram) + apple care = $1151.16 (inc. tax)

It seems that apple care is more important on a laptop rather than an iMac, but how many of you iMac owners got apple care?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3
so...my girlfriend has been an apple hater ever since I got my macbook pro. A few days ago she just informed me that she wants an iMac...how ironic :p

She is looking to spend ~1000 on it. Anything over 1000 I will have to pitch in.

Our dilema is this...

17" imac 1.83 = $899 (with my student discount) + 1gb ram [total] ($68) = $1025 (inc. tax)

OR

17" imac 2.0 = 1099 (with my student discount) + tax = $1164.94

OR get the 1.83 (with 1gb total ram) + apple care = $1151.16 (inc. tax)

It seems that apple care is more important on a laptop rather than an iMac, but how many of you iMac owners got apple care?

Thanks!

I would go with the 17" imac 2.0 and then save up for the apple care and get it sometime before your 1 year standard warranty runs out.. I suggest apple care for any mac computer but thats just me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac 20" 216 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor, 1GBSDRAM, 250 GB hd, Airport Extreme, Bluetooth 2.0
Too big of an investment not to get Applecare and as Kodorsean mentioned, you don't have to buy it now (you have a year). There's just a very secure feeling knowing if anything goes wrong, you are covered. And in the world of computing, anything can go wrong. By the way, 17" imac is a great choice, she'll love it!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
I 2nd kodorsean's vote. Get the 2.0ghz iMac. The base model is lacking in a few features. I haven't purchased Applecare on either of the Macs I've buoght, both an iBook G4, and my iMac G5.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.33Ghz iMac Core 2 Duo, 1.5Ghz Powerbook G4
I've never got applecare. I had a problem with my Powerbook about 6 months out of warrently and got it fixed by a reseller and only got charged for parts. Which I thought was reasonable.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" 5k imac i7, 295x
i 3rd:)s) kedorseans idea. you have a whole year before you will need to buy the apple care

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PB 12inch 1.33ghz 1.25gb/60gb pb 15inch 1.25ghz 1.25gb/160gb Power Mac G3 B&W Overclocked 500mhz
Another vote for the popular idea. You can upgrade the memory anytime and you have a whole year to purchase Apple Care! Heck, it's even likely memory costs will continue to come down some as they usually do.

The iMac's actually share a lot in common with the notebooks due to their compact design, so a repair would most likely be costly and difficult. I *assume* they integrate most all the components onto the motherboard as done with most laptops to save space.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
I would go with the 17" imac 2.0 and then save up for the apple care and get it sometime before your 1 year standard warranty runs out.. I suggest apple care for any mac computer but thats just me.

i agree with you. i have the 2ghz and apple care. well worth it just in case anything goes wrong. :D

M

MacHeadCase

And I too agree.

You'll want a SuperDrive for that machine and the 2.0GHz model has it and it also has a dedicated video card (ATI Radeon X1600 128MB) as the low-end 1.83GHz model takes 64MB off of your RAM to use as a video card.

And I have always bought Apple Care just in case: to me, it's just for peace of mind.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.