How to Post Thumbnails vs. Images?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
I see many posts with attached thumbnails. Is there an easy way to do this, vs. posting full images themselves? I know I could hack up a quick bit of HTML to show a thumbnail image which when clicked would lead to the main image, but I am guessing, based on the consistent format I see in posts here with thumbnails, that Mac Forums provides some consistent and easier way to do this.

If you know how to post thumbnails in a post instead of the main image, could you share the secret? Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MBP 2.4 GHz C2D/27" Core i7 iMac
when you click to reply (not quick reply)or create a new post scroll down some and click the "Manage Attachments" button and go from there. :)

OP
mac57
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ahhh, OK, like this?

scuba-cycling-98.jpg

I'll post it and see how it works out. Here goes...

OP
mac57
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It worked, great! Thanks Mattlike!

OP
mac57
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, I am still feeling a little "thumbnail challenged". I can now post thumbnails of images, but all of the posts I have seen that use this have standard "frame" called "Attached Thumbnails" around them. As you can see from my post above, this isn't happening when I post a thumbnail. How do you get this frame? I have checked all the options in the attachments area of the full reply form, but can't see anything obvious... sorry for being so thick!

Reaction score
Testing, testing...

Hmmmm...not sure. How did you do it the frist time? I attached an image from a URL and it showed it as a thumbnail in the brackets. Then I uploaded from my desktop and it worked the same way.

tx_tebow.jpg

M_Allen.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air | iPad | iPhone | iPod Classic | iPod Shuffle | no more money
When replying to a thread, if you click on the Go Advanced button you get a lot more options, including the one that mattlike mentioned (which I'd not noticed before - so thanks for that).

Anyway click on the paperclip as circled in my attached image. This brings up a window with info relating to max size and file type etc. (Also shown in my attachment) Click on Browse to find the image you want to share with us and then click on upload.

I've never done it but I guess you can add more than one attachment at a time - when you're done, close the window to add the image to the thread.

uploading.JPG

OP
mac57
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK, trying again...

iDiot.jpg

OP
mac57
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Got it - it seems to work. I had never seen the Manage Attachments button that mattlike mentioned to start with - I thought he was just referring to the paperclip icon. To get my initial post with a frameless thumbnail attached, I simply did a Reply, then clicked the paperclip icon and uploaded my file. That was it. I did not ever use the Manage Thumbnails button down below. In retrospect, I think I may like my first blundered method better than the second!

And by the way, the picture is definitely NOT political commentary; I saw this on the web today somewhere and thought it was pretty humorous, even if I don't agree with its substance!

BUT, this is a Mac forum, not a political forum, so PLEASE, please, don't flame me on this one.

Thanks everyone for the explanations on thumbnail image loading!

Reaction score
I really like how you posted that image in Post #3 mac57. I don't like the border, personally.

This is a useful thread, thanks all.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24' 7 Snow Leopard + Parallels and Win 7 | 30 Gb iPod | Canon EOS 400D
Did it work??

My current ride.

PB090003.JPG

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24' 7 Snow Leopard + Parallels and Win 7 | 30 Gb iPod | Canon EOS 400D
Victoria looks a little drier than Tassie......

Reaction score
Hmmm...I never used the paper clip before and when I did just now it says it attached the file but nothing is there. Whatever.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
is there ubb code to use an image as a link. or to use a thumbnail that's not hosted here to link to a larger version of the image also not hosted here (say, on my flickr page?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
For flickr just go to the picture page, click All sizes, then thumbnail. There should be a bit of code near the bottom for you to paste in, it will link to the photo page.

If you are posting from something other than flickr you will need to have 2 sizes, your thumbnail and full sized image. Then you can do something like this...

Code:
[ url="<link to full sized image>"[ img]<link to thumbnail image>[ /img][ /url]
remember to not include spaces.

To do what cristm did just use the Attach file feature

M

MacHeadCase

is there ubb code to use an image as a link. or to use a thumbnail that's not hosted here to link to a larger version of the image also not hosted here (say, on my flickr page?

There is a workaround. You just put in the image tag your thumbnail and that image tag becomes a link to the bigger image. In order for members to understand the thumbnail is a link, you could write below the thumbnail Click me for full-size image or something similar.

For example you would get this:

Click me

What you have is this (spaces added to prevent from the tags to try to work): [ U R L = " URL of bigger image here " ][ I M G ] URL of thumbnail here [ / I M G ] [ / U R L ]
[ I ] Click me [ / I ]

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.