How can I connect my speakers?

Reaction score
Hi,

I've got a HiFi with a cd tray that doesn't work anymore but the speakers are still in perfect working order.

They connect to the HiFi system with red and black coloured wire but no plugs (just wire at the end) - they simply get stuck into a sort of terminal at the back of the HiFi (what do you call this type of cable?). How can I connect this to my Imac so that it can play back sound through that instead of using the internal sound card? Is there some sort of interface I need to buy?

I don't particularly want to connect the Imac to Audio In of my HiFi and then play the sound from Hifi to speakers, as that setup would be very hard to achieve because of room space.

Thanks for helping,

Jamie

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
how big are these speakers (size and wattage)?
was this a "boombox" type of stereo?

your only recourse may be an amp/receiver of some sort, but it could still definitely be something small.

edit:
found this simple amp on bby

will be more expensive, but smaller than a normal receiver/amp.

what is wrong with just using the input on the old boombox/stereo?

OP
F
Reaction score
I have heard of the term "boombox" stereo before but I never knew exactly what it was, so I searched for a few pics on the internet and if it's a stereo with speakers all in one, then that isn't what I have.

The speakers are about 12inch in height and 8inch in length. The main speaker is 30W and the subwoofer is 60W.

Do I really need to buy an amplifier (even if it's a small one)? Sorry, I really don't much about technical audio (although I'm eager to learn!), can't the speakers work by being plugged into the soundcard?

Edit: I can't really use the input on the stereo because of the positioning of my room, the stereo and mac are on opposite sides and there's no place for the stereo but I've got 2 places for the speakers, it's complicated I know but it would be so much easier if I could make the speakers work directly...

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Your computer (sound card) will not power standard speakers without an external amplifier even if you get them connected.

This is why all but very inexpensive computer speakers are powered (have their own power supply and connect to an electrical outlet).

Your best bet is going to be getting yourself some computer speakers. Check out circuit city web site and read reviews. Lots of speakers available for under $50.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.