MS no more

Reaction score
First off, Hello everyone! I can't believe I would ever set foot in a Mac forum!

I just ordered a MacPro about 30 minutes ago. The reason? I have been building pcs for about 10 years now and doing general it work for a couple of local businesses. I like to game on my pc and "learn" everything I can about computers. Lately though, I just felt like I have been missing something. I don't know, vista is coming and I have been looking forward to it since it was announced. Only 9 days to go and I could have been playing with a new os, but for some reason I decided I probably won't go there. I just feel let down by MS and after reading many reviews on vista it sounds like to little to late. From the outside looking in, it seems that MS will just catch up with OS 10 and it took them six years to do it! At first, I was shocked by the price of macs. It seems like about twice the money then if you build your own pc machines, but then I though about the "extras" you need for you pc to function in real life. There is the Antivirus, MS Office, spyware programs, etc that eat away very fast at the difference, and on top of it all there is the maintenance time that is killing me, just to keep the thing in top performance.

Overall, I just feel wronged by MS. They want to much money for glitchy software. I am guess I just feel like I am tired. Tired of the wasted time in my life learning and fixing something that is supposed to simplify it.

My rant is over, thanks for listening, and I am glad to be here (I think)

M

MacHeadCase

Welcome to Mac-Forums, Bubbaman!
icon7.gif

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macky the 21.5'' iMac 2.7ghz i5 8GB, Mr. Pink 64GB iPhone 6, iPad Jr. 16GB Air 2, 13'' MBAir 1.6Ghz
Welcome Bubbaman! I'm a recent switcher myself. Yes, macs seem a bit pricey but it is well worth it. Best purchase I have ever made :) Some good advice I've heard around here is to forget everything you know about windows and start fresh ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)
Welcome to M-F !

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24' 7 Snow Leopard + Parallels and Win 7 | 30 Gb iPod | Canon EOS 400D
I too am new at these....I am almost a switcher. I am an interested party. I sit here typing on an old e-mac that is a bit slow and missing in the ram department....but it is ok for e-mail. I think it is the quality that has got me. They (Macs) seem better put together and the overall package with software....wow. Just got back from a holiday and downloaded my pics to the Mac and am mazed what I Photo can do...and that is just a basic program. When I can afford it, a 24" I MAC, large hard drive and a gig of ram is for me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro-2.16Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo-3GB RAM-120GB HDD
Welcome Bubbaman! I hear exactly what you're saying. I just switched a week ago and it's like being a kid in a candy store learning a new STABLE OS. I am in IT also so unfortunately at work its still all PC.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
First off, Hello everyone! I can't believe I would ever set foot in a Mac forum!

I just ordered a MacPro about 30 minutes ago. The reason? I have been building pcs for about 10 years now and doing general it work for a couple of local businesses. I like to game on my pc and "learn" everything I can about computers. Lately though, I just felt like I have been missing something. I don't know, vista is coming and I have been looking forward to it since it was announced. Only 9 days to go and I could have been playing with a new os, but for some reason I decided I probably won't go there.

Welcome from another recent switcher, inspired to switch by the advent of Windows Vista.

I just feel let down by MS and after reading many reviews on vista it sounds like to little to late. From the outside looking in, it seems that MS will just catch up with OS 10 and it took them six years to do it!

Catch up? That would require a complete redesign from the kernel up. I think they've successfully grafted some of the OS X eye candy onto a bloated pig of an OS, but I wouldn't say they've caught up. For the most part, Vista is Microsoft's answer to pressure exerted by copyright advocates like the MPAA and RIAA. Most of the truly interesting and necessary features that would have justified the price and time it took to build the OS have been omitted. I can't see any compelling features that Vista has at this point, aside from DX10 which is somewhat of an "artificially" compelling feature only because they refuse to release it for XP. In the past, MS has released DX for all versions of Windows, but I think in an effort to shove Vista down the gamer market's throat, they're only releasing it with Vista. This makes sense because who else buys retail copies of Windows? The answer is the gamers who constantly build their own or continuously upgrade their systems.

At first, I was shocked by the price of macs. It seems like about twice the money then if you build your own pc machines, but then I though about the "extras" you need for you pc to function in real life. There is the Antivirus, MS Office, spyware programs, etc that eat away very fast at the difference, and on top of it all there is the maintenance time that is killing me, just to keep the thing in top performance.

Macs are relatively expensive, but if you factor in the fact that most of the Macs are using top-shelf components, they do compare well dollar-for-dollar to similarly equipped PCs. It's just that most new PCs featuring bargain prices are equipped with yesterday's processors and components.

Overall, I just feel wronged by MS. They want to much money for glitchy software. I am guess I just feel like I am tired. Tired of the wasted time in my life learning and fixing something that is supposed to simplify it.

You said it. I spent more of my time maintaining my Windows machines than actually using them. Now Microsoft wants the OS to control my actions rather than me controlling the OS. No thanks!

My rant is over, thanks for listening, and I am glad to be here (I think)

I think you'll be pleased with your Mac and even if you find that you must run Windows, at least with the Mac you can have the best of both worlds with Parallels and Bootcamp.

To be sure, the Mac has its own set of quirks, but as with any new operating systems, you need to bring an open mind to the table and relearn what you already know. Just because something is different, doesn't mean it is wrong. Give yourself a good solid week of using OS X entirely before you consider running Windows at all.

Again, welcome to an awesome, friendly forum and be sure to return as you start to have questions.

Reaction score
Next, download NeoOffice and run an Office-suite of applications that are NOT from MS and, best of all, are FREE.

Say goodbye to MS completely. It's a good day.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I would also suggest checking out the iWork trial and get a feel for Pages. I haven't used Word ever since :black:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13 Inch, 2 Mac Mini's 1.66 & 1.83, 2- iMac Intel i3 iPhone 4 & iPad 2 32 gig.
Your story sounds like many who have switched, myself included. I have never regretted leaving the MS camp. Good luck and Welcome.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.