why do I want a bluetooth keyboard?

Reaction score
I'm sorry I can't find a simple answer to this. I searched and don't seem to get it. I have a bluetooth for my blackberry but how would it work for computers?

Please forgive this silly question but can someone explain the use/benefits?

Thanks,

Joe

PS my imac comes Monday!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook Black 2GB iPod Nano & Black 80GB iPod Classic B&W G3 G4's - PowerMac & Cube
Well, for an iMac, I don't really think it would be that necessary to use it. I personally like the Aple keyboard more than any others, but that's just me. I suppose you could use your's if it's compatable though. You might check the directions to see if it is made to work with anything else than a Blackberry, because it wouldn't surprise me if it wasn't. Otherwise, as long as you didn't get the base 17" iMac, you have built-in Bluetooth, and hopefully you can connect the two right up.

Reaction score
Jeff you seriously claim to have fuly understood that question?

fuji1, you say you have "a bluetooth" for your blackberry. Assuming you mean bluetooth keyboard, you are asking why you want one, and how it would work for computers.
Bluetooth Keyboards are basically wireless keyboards. So the use/benefit would be cable-freedom.

I personally don't get what your quirm is.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook Black 2GB iPod Nano & Black 80GB iPod Classic B&W G3 G4's - PowerMac & Cube
Your answer is better than mine. You win.

OP
F
Reaction score
Guys what you are telling me is the keyboard is wireless using bluetooth technology instead of some other types of wireless set ups?

It has nothing to do with commucicating with your headset?

If that is the case I feel really stupid! Sorry

Joe

OP
F
Reaction score
Guys what you are telling me is the keyboard is wireless using bluetooth technology instead of some other types of wireless set ups?

It has nothing to do with communicating with your headset?

If that is the case I feel really stupid! Sorry

Joe

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Exactly. yogi has hit the nail on the head. Bluetooth is just a form of short range low power wireless communication. It is often used to communicate between cell phones and wireless headsets because it is a perfect fit for this sort of thing, but it can just as easily be used to communicate between computers and peripherals like mice and keyboards.

Frankly, I've never seen why there is such a buzz in the computer biz on this. I have a wireless keyboard and mouse right now - USB transmitter/receiver and I am sure some form of proprietary protocol between the transmitter and the keyboard/mice. What do I care whether that protocol is Bluetooth or not?

I suppose a standard wireless communication protocol for keyboard and mice would let many manufacturers make compatible products. Perhaps that is a benefit, but we haven't seem much of it yet!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
One thing nice about Bluetooth, if your computer has it built in, no dongle for the wireless keyboard/mouse you just bought. Frees up some of the already few USB ports.

Reaction score
Not sure if this is true or not but I *heard* that bluetooth isn't as responsive compared to wireless if you decide to game cordlessly. Personally, for gaming I think wired is better.

OP
F
Reaction score
thanks guys I feel a little silly with that one. I have a non bluetooth keyboard and it works fine so needing a bluetooth sounds nice but I wouldn't pay extra for it.

Thanks again for clearing this up,

Joe

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.