Help with moving iPhoto library to new iMac

Reaction score
I have just upgraded my ibook to a spanking new iMac

How do I transfer my iPhoto library to my new imac?, I know about setting up the iBook in Target mode, but what do I have to do then?

Also if anyone knows how can I do the same with my iTunes Library - move from one comp to the other

Cheers

Reaction score
In your Pictures folder, there's the iPhoto Library folder. Move this to your new mac and overwrite the iPhoto library folder there.
When launching iPhoto, it might ask to reindex the library, or it might just work. Not sure about that.

The same goes for your iTunes folder found under "Music". Here you need to first deauthorize your old computer if you have purchased songs and don't want to play them on this computer anymore. OTherwise, just move the music, setup your iTunes Store account in iTunes and your songs should work, purchased and non-purchased (by that I mean, of course, ripped from CDs).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
This works for PC to Mac transfers of an iTunes library as well. You can just copy the whole thing in bulk from the PC to the Mac, overwriting the existing information on the Mac and then launch iTunes. It will re index the library, but it works wonderfully.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.