• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

your favorite games

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
a few video game related questions - for all systems (not just on mac).

what's your favorite genre of game?
and
what system do you use most for gaming (feel free to list all that you own too)?
and
what are some of your favorite games?
and
what were one or two of your favorite gaming experiences? (a moment where you were struck dumb in awe or something you enjoy doing over and over just because it's so much fun)

Reaction score
Basically any game with a gripping story. Mostly action games have this. I have a Wii, and sometimes I play some stuff on the Mac too. Prey and Call Of Duty work quite well. I do go to my brother's PC if I want to play games like Mafia or The Godfather.

The best moments: Mafia Intro and Mafia Ending. The best game ever, I tell you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20", 2GB ram, 500GB hd, 256MB Radeon x1600
1. Probably simulators

2. Only a PC. (It's hiding in the closet, tho so none at the moment.) Would use the mac if I could sort 'em Parallels et cetera out.

3. Silent Hunter III (WWII sub sim), Nascar Racing Season 2003 (by Papyrus. Not the hideous EA Sports crap.. *shivers*), Sub Command, Dangerous Waters, Splinter Cell saga.

4. Lots of tight and memorable races in Nascar, both in single player and online leagues.
Another memorable experience is from Silent Hunter III. We were returning home from tour patrol area, somewhere off-coast Scotland, when we spotted a lonely merchant steaming ahead. Since the actual patrol had not been very successful, we still had torpedoes left and decided to take her down. It was night and the seas were rough so it took all but one torpedo to put her out of her misery. But as soon as we started rejoicing the victory one of the lookouts spotted a destroyer coming right at us at full speed.

What followed was a nerve cracking cat 'n' mouse game as we were trying to find a good firing solution. Eventually I made my some what risky decision and turned the bow straight towards the chasing destroyer. It was almost like "who chickens first". Then when the enemy was only few hundred meters away and impact seemed imminent we fired the last torpedo and made a hard turn to port. The torpedo hit dead-on and took out the destroyer but our next concern was if we were able to slip away from the collision course. We did but it was a really, really close call.. we watched the burning ship pass us by only few meters from our stern. For the rest of the patrol we had to keep very low profile until we reached our home waters and Wilhemshaven, since we had no torpedoes.

Uh.. that was a long rant to type, lol. Hopefully you made it this far and enjoyed the read.. :black:

OP
eric

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
MC Hammer, that was excellent. definitely captured a moment. reminds me of moments i had playing freedom fighters for the ps2 - a sleeper hit, third person shooter with squad based fighting. lots of low ammo, severely outnumbered sweat-fests where my eyes would dry considerably from hanging open as to not miss an enemy move. black was like that too, but considerably more twitchy (and more ammo!).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20", 2GB ram, 500GB hd, 256MB Radeon x1600
Heh, I actually forgot one of my all-time favorites from the list.. Hidden&Dangerous 2.

It has it's bugs but the intensity and atmosphere is just something out of this world. I just can't get enough of it. (Talk about low ammo... if you run out of ammo, you run out of ammo :) Unless you manage to salvage some from the dead enemies (should they carry the same weapons).)

But yea, I'm really into games I can really sunk myself into. Graphics and eye candy aren't so important as immersion. Full scale escapism is the way to go :robot:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
Favorite genre is racing, but i love a good FPS, or RPG too.

I play alot of driving games, but am currently mostly playing WoW.

I play on my G5 iMac, and I have a xBox 360 with a few games, and a Dreamcast that is currently gathering dust in the living room

Ut2k4, and Call of Duty: United Offensive are the best LAN party FPS games.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.5 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HD
Wii60
oblivion, zelda, metal gear, and grand theft auto
the entire oblivion game, i spent 200+ hours playing and I absolutely loved every second of it. the most captivating game you will ever play

edit: also love Call of Duty, I could spend days online with that game

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.5 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HD
Basically any game with a gripping story. Mostly action games have this. I have a Wii, and sometimes I play some stuff on the Mac too. Prey and Call Of Duty work quite well. I do go to my brother's PC if I want to play games like Mafia or The Godfather.

The best moments: Mafia Intro and Mafia Ending. The best game ever, I tell you.

definitely agree, if it can hold my attention then I will certainly enjoy playing it

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
I'm mainly into shooters (CoD2/3, Halo/2, Black, UT2K4, etc, etc, etc)

I also loved Zelda: Link to the Past for SNES (still palying it on roms)

I also really like RTS games (Warcraft III is amazing.. Can't forget Starcraft, and C$C Red Alert hehe)

T

todd51

1. I mainly love to play the occasional shooter, or an adventure game like Zelda.

2. I have a Wii currently that I play often.

3. Favorite games include Goldeneye 64 (countless memories), Zelda OoT and MM, Street Fighter series, Half-Life & Counter-Strike games, Super Smash Bros. series, Mario Kart series, and Resident Evil 4.

4. One of my fondest memories was when every Friday night I would invite the neighborhood kids over to play Goldeneye. We usually played with Pistols only, One Hit Kills. Everyone was dead in this round besides my friend and I. He was going on about how the Silenced PP7 was his weapon of choice because you couldn't hear him if he missed sometimes (we kept volume on the tv really low because my parents were sleeping), which gave him another shot. I had said I like the Magnum revolver, and he went on and on about how slow and loud it was.

Little did he know I had been following him throughout this entire time and he never knew. I finally said, "Yea, but you know what the main difference is between you and me?" "What's that," he replied. Right after he said that I shot him in the back of the head and simply said, "I only need one shot."

Priceless :)

OP
eric

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
well, i'm going to do this slowly, a bit at a time...

first, a one of my favorite memories/moments.
just an easy one, nothing fancy, but always good to raise the heart rate a bit when it happens!

during a long stint at vigilante mode in GTA:VC, where i eventually got up to about level 50 (no tank, no apache), there were at least two or three times when i would go screaming into a pay-n-spray, fbi washington ablaze and ready to blow... makes for an interesting day at work ;)

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Ok, get to date myself again.

First game system was the Mattel Intellivision - favorite was a submarine game, don't remember the name.

Favorite type are Adventure games
Myst the most recent well known, Lighthouse, Temujin, Obsidian, Atlantis, Ripley's Believe It or Not, King's Quest, The 7th Guest, Longest Journey, Amerzone, Lost in Time, The Journeyman Project, The Legend of Kyrandia, Noctropolis, Sinkha (to name just a few)...... In similar vein is the Action Adventure - the Tomb Raider and the 007 series.

My first computer adventure games, (we're talking before pong here), were all text, no graphics. Some of you may remember the original Zork series and others like it. Had to have paper and pencil in hand and draw maps of your travels. Had to type all your commands in to move around in the games (right, left, back, etc.), no cursor and no mouse. Thought they were pretty tuff back then. The first black and white (I think that monitor with my TI-99 was more a dark green and white) and the 16 color graphic adventures, well they were just too cool.

Have probably tried all the genres, and "strung out" in my younger days on more than a few.

Don't believe there is a game system I either have not had (most) or at least played on.

Currently playing Xbox 360: Need for Speed, King Kong, World Series of Poker, Perfect Dark Zero

Recent PC games: Latest Tomb Raider, Runaway, Halo, Far Cry, Beyond Good and Evil

Current Mac: the new Railroad Tycoon is the only thing I've put on here so far.

Have never gotten into the RPG's. When they started coming out, didn't have the time to spend the hours it took just to learn the game.
Have really been looking at WoW though. Looks pretty tuff. What do ya'll think? Can an old timer pick it up, or is it one of those that takes days just to learn how to play?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.4 ghz, iPhone 4
1. I dont really limit myself to a genre, I like playing all types of games.

2. xbox360 and a pc!

3. Gears of War, Call of Duty 2+3, Hitman, Medieval Total War 2, Company of Heros. Favorite game of all time is probably either zelda or resident evil 4.

4. I think one of my favorite gaming experiences was when I was in ninth grade. I had a very bad bronchitis infection so I was pretty much stuck in a bed for 3 weeks. My mom rented Metal Gear Soild 2 for me, I remember I played it for almost 8 hours straight and beat it.

M

MacHeadCase

Ok, get to date myself again.

First game system was the Mattel Intellivision - favorite was a submarine game, don't remember the name.

Favorite type are Adventure games
Myst the most recent well known, Lighthouse, Temujin, Obsidian, Atlantis, Ripley's Believe It or Not, King's Quest, The 7th Guest, Longest Journey, Amerzone, Lost in Time, The Journeyman Project, The Legend of Kyrandia, Noctropolis, Sinkha (to name just a few)......
*Snip*

*Hugs Bob*

I would have loved to play Obsidian but I think I came to this realization too late, just couldn't find it. I would have loved it if Syberia and Syberia II would have been ported to the Mac.

A friend sent me this link yesterday: Myst Online: Uru Live coming to Mac but am not sure I want to encourage Ubisoft (they ripped me off with Myst V: End of Ages) nor do I would like, at this moment, this game online in a multi-user environment as I have heard a lot of negatives about it. Resuming what I mean by this: a lot of weirdos hang around in that game and I want no part of that.

To add mine Myst and Riven (the best one in the series IMO), Riddle of the Sphinx, Atlantis II (the best in the series IMO), TimeLapse, etc.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
*Hugs Bob*

I would have loved to play Obsidian but I think I came to this realization too late, just couldn't find it. I would have loved it if Syberia and Syberia II would have been ported to the Mac.

A friend sent me this link yesterday: Myst Online: Uru Live coming to Mac but am not sure I want to encourage Ubisoft (they ripped me off with Myst V: End of Ages) nor do I would like, at this moment, this game online in a multi-user environment as I have heard a lot of negatives about it. Resuming what I mean by this: a lot of weirdos hang around in that game and I want no part of that.

To add mine Myst and Riven (the best one in the series IMO), Riddle of the Sphinx, Atlantis II (the best in the series IMO), TimeLapse, etc.

Obsidian was pretty nice game. Sure I still have it, but it's gonna be a Win version. Missed out on Syberia II.

There are going to be a lot of "weirdo's" hanging around in any online game from my experience with XBox Live. Just have to put them on mute so you don't have to listen to the garbage and just downright nasty and vile language of some (and I ain't no prude).

"Riddle", yeah forgot about that one, had one area that got my goat in that game where solving the puzzle meant finding a single pixel to click.

Also, Alone in the Dark, Ring... the list seems to go on. Guess I had forgotten how many there were in the day since it seems no one is really making Adventure games anymore unless you count the Nancy Drew series.

Found a copy of "The Crystal Key". Says it is Mac compatible. Requires a PowerPC 120Mhz, 32MB RAM & Mac OS 7.5 or higher - Think it will install and play on this MBP?

M

MacHeadCase

*Snip*
Found a copy of "The Crystal Key". Says it is Mac compatible. Requires a PowerPC 120Mhz, 32MB RAM & Mac OS 7.5 or higher - Think it will install and play on this MBP?

No you'd need Classic to run it and Intel-based Macs do not support Classic or OS 9 installation.

OP
eric

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
a little more:

i'd say my favorite types of games are driving and simulation/builder type games.

my favorite series: gran turismo without a doubt.
not only some of the best driving physics, the series has continuously provided a huge variety of vehicles and tracks, serious tuning and tweaking options that really make a difference, license tests that actually help you 'drive' better in the game, beautiful graphics, and a deep gameplay experience.
it does lack in a couple areas, especially the dim AI and races limited to 1, 2 or 6 cars only. severe tire wear is also a niggling issue.
photomode has also made GT4 a real favorite in the series. it allows you to take posed shots in various locations or snap a shot from any replay or after driving in "photo drive" on any track.

a few "in game" photomode examples from GT4
328982025_f2501822e9.jpg

360315767_9984a65691.jpg

328985579_459c15f93b.jpg

more pics here

as far as the sim/buildergames... i really like the sim city series - i wish it worked better on my macbook. i also dig the sims, civilization, tropico, and roller coaster tycoon series'.

OP
eric

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
yeah, on the playstation 2 no less.

that said, obvioulsy once a proper GT5 comes out on the PS3, i will have no choice but to buy one, even if they're still 700 bucks.

oh, and obvioulsy the photographer has a little to do with it!!! :p
they weren't enhanced in any way in any photoshop type program either.

there are whole groups on flicker devoted to these pics...
check out this one for example: Gran Turismo 4 (PS2) on flickr

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.