I want to buy external speakers & need advice

Reaction score
I'm a new iMac user and want to buy speakers to use when I have a big party. What should I buy or do? Should I run my iMac speaker through my stereo or buy amplified external speakers? Any advice would be welcome.

Reaction score
A lot depends on how loud you want your music to be. If you want LOUD, you might be best to run it through your stereo. I bought a set of Dell A525s on eBay and they sound great and have good volume... but probably not enough for party music.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
yeah, just run it through a stereo. all you'd need is a male 1/8" to male stereo RCA plug adapter. you can get those anywhere.

keep the mac at about 2/3 volume and then adjust the stereo.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Great advice eric. As with all things electronic, never drive the Mac or the stereo to the max. You should arrange it so that both the Mac and the stereo are well below their maximum volume. Once an amplifier of any sort gets near the max, distortion starts to happen quickly!

E

eddy-pizzle

...not to mention blowing the speakers!! school boy error... will not look cool infront of party guests!! ;D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.