quick and simple question.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0Ghz c2d black mb 1gig ram 120gb hd
hi, i just made the switch from a pc to a mac as i will be doing a bit more photoshop and illustrator work and i'd like to know how to tab out of a program.

for instance, world of warcraft.
while running the game, on a pc, hitting the windows button would take me back to my desktop. what is the mac equivalent?

thanks in advance.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
apple+tab = tab between different programs.
apple+` = tab between different windows in the same program

where alt+tab in windows doesn;t care what program a window is in and tabs between everything equally, you may need to do two button combos to accomplish the same thing in OS X.
example: swap from safari to finder with apple+tab, swap from front finder window to one behind that one with apple+`.

by the way, welcome aboard, hope you enjoy your new mac!

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i did a quick search after i posted that and saw those two combos. oddly enough, it didn't pop up for me in game. it works fine when i'm staring at my dock and desktop. is there anything else i should know? thanks for the welcome, and i'm already enjoying my macbook (forgot to state, if it matters).

edit: i might have to run it in windows mode.
i'll check the wow boards. i'm sure there are other ppl playing on a mac.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
i've heard of people having trouble "alt+tabbing/apple+tabbing" from games in OS X from games they're playing. probabaly depends on the specific game.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i talked to the blizzard guys on the wow forums.
you have to command+m to go into a windowed mode, and then you can command+tab or command+~

thanks for your help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Also, if you are just looking to get to your desktop, you can use Expose to move all of current windows out of the way so that you can see your desktop (and access any items there, or work with Finder to locate any new files you need to launch). To do this, just press F11. Very, very helpful.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thanks, i'll have to check that out.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.