how to get wireless tv on my macbook pro

Reaction score
Hi, i am sorry if this sounds dumb, but i am kind of new to this.
anyway, I am buying a macbook pro this week and i am gathering resources for what i want it to do.
The one thing that i want it to do that is driving me to headaches is wireless cable. I am thinking about getting the elgato eyetv hybrid, but all of my understanding is...you have to plug your cable into the laptop. Now, that seems a setback to me because i want to be able to take my laptop into other rooms...outside..you know all those places my laptop should allow me to go. so, my question is this.
How can i get wireless cable to go through my laptop?
I dont need to be able to get reception miles away necessarily (although that would be awesome) but i would think at least a few hundred feet or so would be nice!!
does anyone know what kind of equipment i would need to accomplish this? what the procedure would be? any advice?
bear in mind, i am stariting from basic scratch now, but i do have some money to buy things...
i am just not certain of what i actually need...please help!
Jeeb-:yinyang:

Reaction score
I watch standard cable TV on my MacBook Pro wirelessly, but I have a MythTV setup.

If you have an old(er) PC and a wireless G network, some knowledge of Linux/Unix and/or a lot of time on your hands, this would an good alternative. Especially if you don't have digital cable.

Check out:
http://www.mythtv.org/

The front end I'm running on OSX:
http://collectivity.goof.com/articles/2006/09/18/mythfrontend-0-20-mac-os-x-intel

Edit: I guess I should warn you: I'm fairly experienced Linux user, and it took me probably around 15 hours total to get my setup working the way I wanted it (from a bare metal install). Your mileage may vary.

OP
J
Reaction score
Thanks man!
I will look through it and hopefully my dull brain will be able to grasp it in all of it beauty...
i am doing as much research on it as i can, and i have tinkled with the linux a bit...

Reaction score
Well, I can tell you what sold me on it:

Pro:
- cheap hardware, free software
- fully expandable (add multiple frontends, backends, harddrives, tuners...)
- full PVR functionality (recording, pausing/rewinding live TV, commercial skip..)

Cons:
- not easy to set up (which is not much of a con if you like tinkering around with computers)
- wife *****ing about having computers/parts/crap everywhere and interfering with her TV watching for a few weeks (now that it's working smoothly, she's on board)

My setup consists of:
- PIII 800Mhz Dell (someone gave me for free)
- Hauppauge PVR150 with remote ($100)
- ATI Radeon 9000, also got for free (only needed if you want to hook up to your TV, and if you want to do that, don't get an ATI card, the TVOut is poorly supported in Linux. Nvidia cards are better <-- much time was wasted figuring this out.)
- Many hard drives
- wireless network

I use Fedora Core 5 for my distro, there is an awesome tutorial here:
http://wilsonet.com/mythtv/

Read through it and see if you can handle it (it's pretty step-by-step).

Good luck.

PS. Watching full screen TV on your MacBook Pro out on your deck and using your Apple remote to change channels --> giggling like a schoolgirl

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.