Speakers And Cellphones Signals?

JRV

Reaction score
My speakers pickup what I'm assuming is the incoming waves to my cellphone. When my speakers pick up the signal they make a very unpleasant sound. Sounds like a few weird clicks. Is this because I have cheap speakers? Do more expensive speakers have shielding?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
It may not be the speakers, it may be the speaker wire - which is good, since it is cheaper to try replacing! Make sure you have "shielded" speaker wire. It is a little more expensive, but as you are seeing, well worth the money to eliminate this unfortunate "antenna like" pickup of cell signals.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
wires within the speakers or whatever electronics the speakers are in may do this too.

funny thing is we have a blackberrys here at work that we use as pagers. i'll hear the "csh, csh, csh, csh" sound through a set of portable speakers use at work sometime. so i'll say, "we got a page", and then the blackberry will go off a few seconds later. freaks people out all the time. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.2GHz MBP w/ 2GB of ram and 320 GB HD, 4GB iPhone, 60GB iPod
youre gonna get that with about any kinda computer speakers or monitors it seems. i have a nice set of studio monitors and get it, got it on my old set, ive heard it on radios, etc. it does seem like certain cell phone carriers get it worse. my parents have nextel and maybe their signal is stronger or something cause man it does it on just about everything. ive got a t-mobile sidekick and mine does it on some, etc. i dont think its really anything to worry about.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.