Sharing Printers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" iMac G4 800MHz 1GB RAM
I have been trying to share a printer on a windows network. I can see the files fine, and I can browse the network. But, I can't seem to get the printer to map. It is a USB printer, hooked up to a win2k server. I have tried using Dave ( not intensly, as of yet ), and I haven't been able to get the printer to respond. I am even to the point of buying a "Network" printer just to get a printer working at all, without hooking the printer up to my iMac.

Would it be easier to hook the printer to the iMac and share it to the win2k network?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
Are you using Tiger?

If you are asked to authenticate to the windows machine, you'll need to use a user account that has a password. OS X won't connect to a windows share without one. Even if the account is legit and admin equiv.

In default browser select more printers, then windows printing, select the network name, it will then ask for authentication to the windows machine. I create a user called printer with pass of printer for the sake of connecting macs to windows shared printers. When connectin though type the user name as pcname\username. You'll then see the windows machine and the shared printers. Then select the correct driver and you're done.

Panther is similar. Jaguar you need to hold down option when you click the add printer button.

Good Luck

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Your 33 months late on the response there MacsWork

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
Your Point,....

I thought I could up my posts per day stat.

Close the threads!!!!!!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.