• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

It looks like my teen just killed my G4 - 733mhz

Reaction score
He threw everything out. Like Everything. And then used some secure garbage emptying trick. There doesn't seem to be much I can do as:
a. It doesn't have a dvd drive to reinstall OSX
b. There is no system folder / nada
c. All apps are gone
d. I am against corporal punishment

I do have:
a. A G5 runnning 10.4.8 networked to it
b. It is still running 10.4.8 although somewhat hobbled

Can anyone help me or should I just take her out back and put her out of her misery? Can I just drag my system folder over from the G5?

M

MacHeadCase

Welcome to Mac-Forums, babaroberto. Enjoy your stay.

Answer to your question here.

Edited to add:

In your case, you would put the Tiger install disk in your G5's optical drive and connect the G4 through FireWire and install it that way. This will only work IF your Tiger disk is a full install disk. If it's the disk that came with the G5, it won't work as it is computer model specific. If this is the case, you will have to buy a full Tiger install disk and if this is what you have to do why not shell out the extra $9.99 and get the disks on CDs instead of the DVD version? That way you could install it directly from the G4 with having to use the G5 as source for the install.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook Black 2GB iPod Nano & Black 80GB iPod Classic B&W G3 G4's - PowerMac & Cube
Can you share the DVD drive of the G5 over the network and install from there?

Any idea what exactly was deleted?

OP
B
Reaction score
Thank youuuuuuuu. This worked and only gave me a heart attack when I thought the G5 had been reformatted. Won't have to go to the gym, or the computer graveyard this week.
Phew.
Graze
Prost

Welcome to Mac-Forums, babaroberto. Enjoy your stay.

Answer to your question here.

Edited to add:

In your case, you would put the Tiger install disk in your G5's optical drive and connect the G4 through FireWire and install it that way. This will only work IF your Tiger disk is a full install disk. If it's the disk that came with the G5, it won't work as it is computer model specific. If this is the case, you will have to buy a full Tiger install disk and if this is what you have to do why not shell out the extra $9.99 and get the disks on CDs instead of the DVD version? That way you could install it directly from the G4 with having to use the G5 as source for the install.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.