Iphone-Future High Speed Data-HSDPA, WiMax?

Reaction score
I am so excited about the iphone. I have been due for a cell phone upgrade for almost 6 months and have held off for this phone and it helps that I'm a Cingular customer already. With the next phone upgrade though I was hoping to update to the new UMTS/HSDPA high speed data.
From what I'm seeing this phone only supports up to Edge. Is that true? Are there any possibilities of this being upgraded to UMTS/HSDPA before long? How about Wimax? I heard the possibilities of newer technologies being implimented. I'd like to think there is something like a wimax card that can be added or even a firmware upgrade but I'm sure this would require new hardware. I have to admit this device is so good that in most cases I will likely buy it and if a update comes out later deal with whether to update or not. I'm a current Cingular customer though so am curious how pricing will work on this with me such as if I'll have to pay more of just extend my contract for 2 years.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook CoreDuo
I'm itnerested in this too. Luckily I still have another year-ish untill I can upgrade so I foresee new technology by then :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
It's definitely going to be Edge only, at least for a while. That's the first deal-breaker for me. I think there was some mention of wimax in the keynote, but can't remember. Unless you're current contract is expiring, you won't be able to get it for the advertised price. Maybe in the $799-899 range w/o contract. I'd hate to pay for a PDA/phone what I could pay for a good computer!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
You can't buy the phone without a contract

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
The lack of support for 3G UMTS is a curious omission. I have to admit that it gives me pause, but I will go to the Apple or Cingular store and play with one before I make a decision. EDGE is quite fast when it works well, it is just that this doesn't often seem the case on my phone!

Reaction score
I've heard about WiMAX pilot projects a lot - but is there WiMAX users in this forum ?

WiMAX

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.