Windows XP Deactivates on OS X

Reaction score
Ok, I am a windows guy who is currently in process of configuring 2 Macs (1 Mac Pro 3 and 1 Mac Book Pro) to use Boot Camp and Parrallels to run Windows.

Every time Windows starts up (in either parrallels or botting to it holding the option key) Windows is no longer activated. It then tells me that I have to call each time since it has been activated too many times.

Any ideas? This is going to be a problem soon since these have to be deployed.

Thanks!:alien:

Reaction score
Has either of those copys ever been installed on another computer?

And no matter even if they have if they are telling you to call daddy then the only way you are going to get them working is call MS explain yourself and then they can authorise them to run. Lots o luck...

OP
D
Reaction score
No, this is for a company and we are legit. 2 new retail copies of XP were installed, I guess I am calling Little Big Brother

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.4ghz 4GB RAM
Its an issue with Parallels and Windows thinking its a different machine each time you start Parallels. They've got a fix in their newest version, I think. Check their website forums.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Are you using the same copy on both Parallels and Boot-camp on the same computer? Even that is considered TWO machines and will do the activation thing. You need 2 copies of Windows for the same machine if you are going to run both Boot-camp and Parallels on it! Sort of Unfair but it's the way it works. If I am wrong sorry, but I see no other reason for your problem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Power Mac 2x Dual Core Xeon 2.0Ghz, 4GB RAM, 2x 250 GB SATA HDs, 1x SuperDrive
untrue, in regards two needing 2 keys for bootcamp & parallels simultaneously.

A common misconception is that you need two CD Key's (Licenses) in order to run both bootcamp and parallels on the same machine but with two seperate installs, respectaviely. The new version of Parallels coming out will avoid this anyways and allow you to run your bootcamp install as a Parallels install, however if you prefer two seperate installs it is perfectly legit. You will have to call on the second activation however, but in the EULA (in fact for just about any big name software) you can install the software on more than one machine provided that: it is not possible to run the software on two machines at the same time, and if so it is not by two different users (only one user) and if you needed a copy on your laptop you take home, but also a copy on your work only computer. Reading your EULA can help you greatly. I called MS and explained I'm running a Mac Pro with Parallels and Boot Camp and they gave me no hassle. What do you know, an MS story that doesn't end in tears or additional money spent! Of course, this implies your copy is legit.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.